02J gearbox AGU engine. Missing bolts and bolts layout

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Djent, Jul 28, 2023.

1. Djent New Member

Hey everybody! Gonna swap a 1.8t into MK2. Have bought a MK4 donor for it. Took the engine out and noticed that some bolts on the gearbox are already missing. I think there are missing more than a half of them.

The problem is I can't even find the sizes and layout of those lost bolts. I've tried to google my question by different search queries, I've watched many videos of how guys separating gearbox from the engine, but there was not shown anything about bolts. I don't know how much of them should be. I don't know what side should those bolts go (front or back side of gearbox). I even forgot where this "4" bolt came from (yeah that definitely my L).

So here what I got:
    1 - 3F 8.8 bolt
    2 - the same 3F 8.8 bolt, but it has additional thread on its head
    3 - 2 long bolts those are going through the starter
    4 - I am lost with that bolt, but it is also 3F 8.8

And finally, who the heck is mounting a gearbox on less than half of mounting points and driving like that???

Appreciate any help guys!

2. Djent New Member

3. dogzila Forum Member

4. Djent New Member

5. Djent New Member

Okay I've found the right one, but still there's not all bolts shown...

6. Djent New Member

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1 & 2 should be M12x55, the one with the extra stud is for the battery earth, you can put it in either hole use whatever suits cable length/routing
    3 are M10x160mm, one of them sometimes has a stud on which is used for P clip to hold pas cable and/or cable tidy for alternator cabling depending on model/year
    4 M12x58, thats the way it goes in once engine is on you'll soon see once its all together

also you need an M10x45 for the front engine bracket to the 3rd hole there in front of the main starter ones in the gearbox, again soon see when its all together

gearbox bracket needs 2x M8x92 and an M8x45

Djent likes this.
  8. Djent New Member

Huge thank you!