02J Gearbox Oil?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by deeppolo, May 8, 2024.

1. deeppolo Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys,

I have searched the forum but couldn't find anything with a definitive answer.

Just wondering what oil I need to use in a 02j 5 speed manual gearbox from a 2005 Beetle TDI?

Thanks in advance all :)

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

75W 90 synthetic if I'm not mistaken - part number G052145S2 if you want genuine

3. deeppolo Paid Member Paid Member

4. deeppolo Paid Member Paid Member

@costel1969 you may be able to help further. When I search previously, information suggested it needed to be GL-4 (whatever than means) however searching of the part number for the genuine stuff to find a non VW equivalent its all GL-5. GL-4 and GL-5 mean absolutely nothing to me hahahaha

5. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

From what I understand the difference between GL-4 and GL-5 are the extreme pressure (EP) additives that are contained within each of them.
    GL-5 has a greater percentage than GL-4 which offers more protection but the drawback is that GL-5 tends to be more agressive on yellow (softer) metals.

In the scheme of things it may not make a hell of a lot of difference but if you want to use a GL-4 and err on the side of caution then here you go

75w GL-4 Synthetic Gear Oil – Westway Oils - Yellow metal safe as you will see on the description.

I'm no expert and the only reason I know a bit about this is that I have changed gearbox and differential fluids in the Canadian cars and have read up a bit about API standards, viscosities etc.

6. deeppolo Paid Member Paid Member

Thank you so much mate. Thats cleared it up for me. :)