02J tower cable clutch - How to fit reverse switch?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by thegave, Feb 7, 2011.

1. thegave Forum Member

I got my car back today after getting the 020 swapped to an 02A with the 02J shift tower but I don't have reverse lights... Is it possible to still use the reverse switch on the 02J tower and if not how do I get reverse lights back?

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

You will need a later type of plug. Remove the old plug an replace with the new. You cab get a new male plug from dealer with wires or try and cut one off a breaker.

Or you can make and adapter with a male plug for the 02A connected to a male plug for the 02J. This will prevent hacking of your original loom.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  3. thegave Forum Member

Does the plug have a part number, or do I just say late MK4 shifter tower reverse switch connector?

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

All plugs have a part numbers. Just have to find the right one. I will be doing this at some stage.

5. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

6. mat-mk3

Ok. Strange numbers but here we go.

02k 945 415 G, Switch. 9.42
    1J0 973 792, Plug. 1.89

And if you want the cables/pins for that plug:
    000 979131 E, 1.71

Mine came with a pin on each end of the cable so i only got one and cut it in half. Then joined it to the existing cable:)

7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Nice. Just need a 2 pin male junior power timer for the other end. Unless I feel like cutting the loom

8. mat-mk3

My loom is from an auto thankfully so i have cables already in those slots. Just joined into them as the auto plus is not used anymore.

9. thegave Forum Member

Brilliant, thanks Mat.

10. thegave Forum Member

Oops. Forgot to mention a kind of important point, which was that I'm using the cable clutch conversion..

[​IMG]

Is there any other way to fit a reverse light switch?

11. mat-mk3

12. thegave Forum Member

Link broken.

I have the full hydro setup in my boot, but don't fancy the downtime or expense needed to have it fitted. Plus there's something reassuring about an (IMO) simpler setup. And I don't want to hack holes in my bulkhead.

Is there any actual benefit to hydraulic, besides not having to worry about the cable snapping? I'm convinced the cable setup is lighter too.

13. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Less pedal effort. Plus, you can have the reverse switch in the right place. Less time modding the tower to get it working.

14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

In reality less pedel force required to actuate clutch pressure plate. However this difference is marginal if you remove the kick back spring from the OE clutch pedal. I have had both systems and what you end up with for the hassle to convert to the hydrualic system it is not worth it.
    The shifter tower issues with rev light sw are only if you use later 1J/8N shift tower. Does not apply to Corrado/Passat/1H Golf 02A.

As Ben_S said you have to think about these issues and how you will solve them before attempting. Ben_S has the same gearbox arrangement and is working on a solution for the reverse switch. His cable arrangement, with clutch pedal spring removed was no different for feel from the 020 rod box that was in there before. Without equipment to test pedel force back to back that is just my opinion from driving the car. Mine is a bit harder, than a typical 02A/J cable clutch arrangement as a Sach high performance clutch kit was used, still not 1970's Landrover hard!

15. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

have all the switches.. just not got round to fitting them, but solution is listed in the "cable clutch experiences" thread

16. thegave Forum Member

Pedal feel is not really an issue for me, the current clutch setup feels even lighter than my original 020.

So the only benefit from going hydro would be to fit the reverse switch. And there are other ways, eg go back to 02A selector tower, which would probably require less effort.

Especially as I've just read the thread where everyone recommends taking the engine and box out to do the hydro clutch swap.

17. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

I've recenly read on VWVortex that you can use the 020 reverse light switch in the 02J tower which negates the need to hack the loom. I'll be trying this at the end of the month. Thought it prudent to post this up.

18. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Possibly right Al. Plug looks ok Just whether thread is right. Can't find a pic of one. Good find.
    Looks like you may get yours done before mine. Can't do anything much with one hand. Apart from the obvious.:lol:

[​IMG]

19. jimk04 Forum Member

you could maybe rig up a microswitch under the lever gaitor in the car.

20. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

I had one lying about for long enough (read as years) and pretty sure it went in a clearout I had about 2 months ago. [xx(]

Here's another pic of it:
    http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=020945415A
    P/N: 020945415A

I still need the TT shifter and gate lever - now ordered and to be picked up at the end of the month. Still to measure up and cut and thread the gear lever and I should hopefully be ready to go. Prob mid to late next month and it will hopefully be in the car.

Theres a MK2 Gti in a local scrappies that will hopefully still have the reverse switch - I'll pull it and let you know. Wont be till the end of the month mind.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011