02j tower/shifter question

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by ThatDaveGuy, Oct 19, 2016.

1. ThatDaveGuy

ThatDaveGuy New Member

Between this place, ed38 and VWV this topic has been done to death, so first of all ill apologise for starting another thread lol, but i cant find anything definitive.

After doing some reading and realising the benefits of an 02j tower setup, i got a little carried away and jumped on the first cheap 02j tower/shifter i saw thinking that all the 02j stuff was the same. Unfortunately i did this before i had read enough to realise there was an old/newer version of the tower and different shifter housing/cable types. I "think" i have the later tower, but would you guys please confirm for me? The tower part no is 02j 301 232 B

Secondly the shifter i picked up isnt a mk4 gti item, but im lead to believe is a closer fit for a mk2.(looks to be the same as the item in THIS THREAD) Should the cables still fit? Or do i still specifically need the mk4 cables?

Needless to say, lessons have been learned lol. hope you guys can point me in the right direction!

[​IMG]20161009_181614

[​IMG]20161009_180536

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Hi Dave

I can't seem to find that part number in ETKA at all. Looking at the pictures it looks exactly like the version i used from a 2000 MK4 GTI. That is the later tower as it has the better style pin connections for the cables rather than the ball joint type.

Not sure about the actual shifter sorry although again it looks just like the MK4 version i used. Pretty much identical. Can you get a part number from the casing?

3. ThatDaveGuy

ThatDaveGuy New Member

Hi Mat, sorry i forgot to include the part no for the casing. Its 6k0 711 049. A Quick google says its from a mk3 ibiza cupra if thats any help? From the thread i linked from VWV i was under the impression that all the parts are pretty much interchangeable. I guess the best way is just going to be try and fit the thing and see how far we get with it lol

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

all looks okay....pin style tower and the cupra gearstick is the best one

id suggest a strip down on that tower...under that nut is a roller bearing thats probably rusted to hell , worth swaping that and any other worn bits

5. mickey marrows Forum Member

'early' 02J gearboxes effectively had 02A type shift towers and your's is definatly a 'late' 02J

6. ThatDaveGuy

ThatDaveGuy New Member

Hi mate.

Yea from what id already read it seems that the bearing is susceptible to corrosion and was definitely on the to do list. I forgot to mention that the tower didnt come with the cup that bolts into the gearbox casing at the opposite end of the shaft - is this required too?

The cables that have come with the shifter have seen better days so will probably end up getting replaced - should i re-order the same set that are with it, or go for the mk4 cables as the part numbers appear to be different?

Thanks for the help chaps :)

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

erm not sure on the cables , my cupra ones are fine but i have a g60 mk2 so slightly differant tunnel

can only suggest you measure the shaft on the old part and see if matches the new one , i had to swap mine on a 91 gearbox

8. mickey marrows Forum Member

Only if your existing shift tower has the smaller diameter shaft/bush and the only real way to know is by removing it.

That said, it might be worth buying a new one as your existing bush is probably worn (ooh er missus)

9. Pb81 Forum Member

Hello, i'm doing the 02J shifter swap on a 02A and sourced this on ebay.

[​IMG]

The but is i can't find the tower , how do you call it in english? Some tips for the keywords?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  10. pigbladder Forum Addict

we call it the tower ! maybe try gearbox /gearchange linkage