02J vs 02A shifter tower differences

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Ess Three, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Ess Three Forum Member

Folks,

Can anyone clarify what the differeces are between the 02J and 02A shifter towers?

For example, could you fit an 02J 'box to a car running fully 02A stuff, and connect up the 02A shift cables, and use them?

If not, wht not?

Is there a work-round?

Of course, you could swap the shift tower to the matching 02A type...but let's say that's not an ideal solution.
    Can 02A shift cables be used with an 02J shifter tower?

EDIT:
    BTW, it's just dawned on me that my description may be confusing.
    By 'Shifter Tower' I am referring to the part on the gearbox where you attach the shift cables...not the gear lever/tower assembly that bolts to the floorpan.

Cheers for any help...
    Glen.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  2. lufbramatt Forum Member

been wondering this myself!

my 02a has gone a bit crunchy and while the thought of upgrading to a newer box appeals, the chore of dropping the exhaust to swap the gear lever mechanism doesnt.

3. s1m0n Forum Member

Yes, 02J is the 'MK4 type' much 'cleaner' & 'simpler' in appearance, uses different cable (ends) and the cables mount to the box at different angles

02A the 'MK3/Corrado' type, 5h1te & characterised by a black plastic top hat.

02A cables will not work an 02J tower (without modifications)
    02A cable mount (to box) presents the cables at the wrong angle (without modifications)

There may be other issues, those are the two biggie's that come to mind.

When swapping tower's remember to match the lower cup to the tower!

The MK4/02J stuff is just so much nicer, trust me, well worth the 'chore' ;) ask GVK, he'll say the same

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  4. Ess Three Forum Member

Thanks for the info...

Any idea if/what the modifications are to fit the 02A cables to the 02J tower?

I have considered using an 02J gearbox bracket, and buying a Dieselgeek 02J short shift kit, and using it to clamp the ends of the 02A cables to the 02J pivots.

Apart from the hassle of changing the lever mech, I've already re-engineered the lever to reduce throw and sorted out the bushes on it...and I like it....hence wanting to keep it.

5. lufbramatt Forum Member

same here- ive rebuilt the shifter in the car with all new bushes and taken all the flex out of the plastic bits on the gearbox tower by reinforcing with metal studs, bolted the shift weight on and imo the shift action is really nice.

6. s1m0n Forum Member

Off the top of my head I would say one of the most important things would changing the cable holding bracket so the cables are 'presented' to the tower in the right way otherwise I think you'll get binding.

You'd have to remove the 02A cable ends but I don't really see why this would not work to be honest

Well I've not used your set-ups of course but I have re-built an Corrado (MK3) shifter myself with new bushes and some other changes but I would still say the MK4 shifter /02J shift tower combo is an improvement.

edit - In the interest's of fairness, my 02J set-up does have solid rod ends not the stock plastic parts.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I've been grazing over this thread, but have held off from providing the "motorsport" solution, as we tend to be prone to doing around these parts!

But just to throw this into the mix, I have an 02A tower on my Mk1 Golf, with ball-ended cable fittings, and a VW Motorsport shifter. It is fine, as a complete unit of VWM parts, but this has no direct translation to the road versions.

However:
    • The early corrado gearshifter isn't good, whereas the Mk4 shifter assembly is better, providing far more positive feel.
    • The plastic connectors will be an issue at both ends of the cables.
    • Also the lateral pivot wobble at the tower is conspicuously replaced on a VWM version, complete with bearings. I don't think the OEM early or late towers are sufficiently different in that respect though.

Anyway, I've just pulled this lot out of the Motorsport kit p0rn thread. Have browse and there may be something to take away from that "motorsport" solution.

https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/204165

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Stumbled over this in an issue of TRC:

SS-SIGMA6-4_x700.jpg

Nice - does away with the plastic shifter ends, removes slack & uses OE cables? Must be a result!

More info (for others reading in) here.

9. other-power New Member

10. pigbladder Forum Addict

if you dont want the hassle of fitting a full o2j , the later 02a passats have a slightly nicer shifting tower

bolts straight on with the matching lower bearing and improves the early rados /g60

https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/204816

in that thread above i made a improved lever to reduce slack and make the side to side movement less