02K Final Drive in 020?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Erik Christiansen, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Erik Christiansen New Member

Greetings from the USA. I wanted to figure out if it's possible to install an 02K ring and pinion set in an 020 transmission and this seemed like the best place to ask since we never got the 02K in the States. Specifically I have a mk2 8v 020 transmission.

I am considering ordering this ring and pinion on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/183371397829. In the photo it looks like it has the step under 4th gear like an 8v 020 (instead of the two circlips on a 16v 020). But online photos are not always the exact part! So wanted to see if anyone has done this before. Are the upper / lower pinion bearings the same? Same gear splines as 020?

I also would like to know if anyone has feedback on that eBay seller? Looks like manufacturer of the final drive is Antonio Masiero.

Thanks!

2. dogzila Forum Member

I use 02K ring and pinion in 020. It will work, only shaft is shorter. Bearings are the same.

3. Erik Christiansen New Member

Thank you, that is what I suspected. I see what you mean about the shaft being shorter - so it does not use the roller bearing in the 5th gear housing. I believe this is okay as I have had other final drives that do not use this bearing.

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Thanks for sharing
    Jon

5. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

02k are a good source of 4,25 and 4,47 FD's

6. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

These are 8v shafts so if you have a 16v you’ll require an 8v 4th gear. They’re also 109mm bore on the crownwheel