09a Rough shifting

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by 3x5, Dec 6, 2016.

1. 3X5

3x5 New Member

Hello, I recently bought a 2005 GTI second-hand and have had multiple issues---though I think I have fixed most of them.

First, I had a faulty speed sensor but I fixed it. I also had a 'Gear 2 incorrect ratio' engine error that was related to a faulty solenoid. I also had crumbling crankcase hoses. I fixed all these problems and have no more engine errors, but my car still has an issue with rough shifting.

When I replaced the solenoids, I had to take the side off the transmission. I measured the fluid that came out, 2.5 quarts. I put 2.5 quarts back into it when I was done replacing the solenoids -- though, I must say, I was not good about keeping my transmission clean when I was working on it. A small amount of sand may have gotten into the system, plus some rust/debris from when I broke the gasket seal. Still, I cleaned the pan out thoroughly, removing a lot of coagulation that had accumulated.

The shifting was rough on the car before working on it, and it's rough now. This is especially true before the car warms up. When I come to a stop sign, the downshifting will make it feel like I'm breaking before I actually do. In general, the shifting is noticeable and not very smooth.

However, before replacing the solenoid, the car wouldn't shift into 2nd at all until the car warmed up. Now, it always ****s. The tachometer gets to 3000 rpm and it always shifts right at that point, unless I'm accelerating up a hill.

So my questions are: Why the rough shifting? Is it related to the transmission filter? Do I need to flush the transmission fluid more thoroughly? and 2, if it is the filter, is it possible to replace the filter on an 09a transmission? I have read some things online that make me think it is difficult or impossible to do this.

Thanks for reading.