1.3 1991 mk2 golf running rough

Discussion in '8-valve' started by G60KG, Dec 2, 2008.

1. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Hi All,

just bought a mk2 1.3 for my Sis. Me and my Dad had a bit of trouble getting it back home. It cut out a few times and sometimes just lost power spluttered but did not stall.

Can anyone give me a quick list of things to check over on this engine.

cheers

KG

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

There's a fair chance it's carb icing. Towards the end of the first post there's a link to a version specially tailored to the 1.3 Golf.

Otherwise, could be a lot of things, give it a thorough service and see where you are after that. :)

3. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

update

car seems to be fine wjilst warming up but then idle slowly drops when the car is warm and then it stalls. I have cleaned the carb with some carb cleaner.

what does this mean?

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Check hoses number 21, 22 and 27 are all present and in good condition. No. 21 is particularly vulnerable to damage if someone unbolts the whole airbox and puts it to one side while still connected to the airbox thermostat and the carburettor. The flexible coupling bits at each end may be cracked and leaking.

[​IMG]

All these bits are essential to the carb getting a supply of thermostatically controlled air, which at this time of year is quite important.

It may well run fine while the choke mechanism(s) hold the idle up artificially high; but when these have finished work, any ice formed will make its presence known.

Lob some new spark plugs at it while you've got the airbox off checking this stuff. :)

5. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

thanks for the info I have already replaced 27 but had to wedge it near the manifold as most of the metal where the pipe should go has rusted away. I will check the others tonight.

What if its not the pipes where do I go from there?

6. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

just checked the pipes, they are a bit tatty but Im not convinced they are leaking. I started the car again and its doing the same thing once it is warm it just dies. Its starts fine again then dies again after a few minutes.

iI have looked at the haynes but cant really make head or tale of the carb section. Can anyone help me further? are there any adjust ment screws I can play around with or any other suggestions I really need to get this car running right

7. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Anyone?

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

replace that metal shroud, carb will ice up if missing, trust me i tried the same thing, wedge pipe near manifold. didnt work :lol:
    also checkthe flap where 27 connects opens when engine is running :)

9. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Im still confused about the whole carb icing issue. When we drove the car back around 25 miles it started fine but then started citting out every so often which followed by loss of power for example the car would not struggle to go above 60 on the motorway. Could this still be carb icing. I am also watching some carbs on Ebay if I replaced the carb is this likely to cure the problem?

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

does sound very much like it to me. a new carb will not solve it if it is down to icing, you need to repair the warm air feed. MK3 polos are a good source fgor the metal shroud :)

11. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

just had another play around with it. I noticed I forgot to put the breather pipe back on from last nights tinkering. Anyway made sure all the pipes are where they were supposed to be the now runs without dying. I also found some new rubber vac hoes in the garage so will replace those once and for all.

Just goes to show how important these little things are. Cheers for pointing me in the right direction everyone.