1.3 Golf - Weber problems?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by J&KMallows, Feb 2, 2014.

1. J&KMallows Forum Member

Hi, i used to have a 2e3 on my MH engined 1.3 golf (1988). Put a new weber in a few years ago, and been ok, more fun to drive etc...

There is a problem now, that might not be the carb, but i think it may be.

Starts fine, choke pushed in after warmed up, idles at around 900revs, the CO was measured to be about right by the garage (a year ago).

When you accelerste gently the car is fine, pressing the pedal slightly firmer results in the car holding back, and then decelerating, pressing the pedal further still means it is then fine.

Most unusual, and irritating!

Had new ignition one year ago (coil, hall sender, TCI-H and distributor).

Any ideas?

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Did you fit a new rubber mounting flange when the Weber went on?

I'm wondering if the carb is rocking about on a perished, leaky mount.

Should be able to test this theory by rocking the carb around gently with the car at fully warmed up idle; see if the revs change as the thing is rocked back and forward.

3. J&KMallows Forum Member

it had a new flange yes, carb was brand new. I will have a go at this, and let you know...

4. J&KMallows Forum Member

Rocked the carb around and no change whatsoever.

The engine (when warm) seems to be making a 'ticking' noise, which i assume is the tappets - however, the sound seems to be coming from the distributor/hall sender. Though its is very difficult to actually pinpoint the noise whilst its so windy! Is there a way i can test the distributor (it is less than one year old)

I did read about 'hesitation off ide' problems with carburettors, i recall most mention a problem with the accelerator pump. Is it likely on a brand new carb that this would be a problem?

Also, i never refitted the fuel reservoir (from the pierburg) back on the weber because there was no where to mount it. Instead I have a t-piece with the return restricted, is this relevant?

Thanks for all your help!

5. J&KMallows Forum Member

Tightned up the 4 bolts holding carb to flange, and the four bolts underneath the manifold. The problem is still there, any other ideas?