1.3 [NZ] Quick question

Discussion in '8-valve' started by 88jetta350, Sep 6, 2010.

1. 88jetta350 Forum Member

1990 Golf 1.3 Driver, engine code NZ

Got a coolant leak I need to fix, I know where it's coming from, but we can't afford to have the car go down if the parts stores were wrong.

I need to know what kind of gasket is used between the cylinder head and the thermostat housing. The parts places are both saying that it's an o-ring, but when I look at the housing on the car, it appears to have a type of sealant on it, which would mean it's a gasket-type seal.

Someone please help me out here. I don't work with the small block engines much, so a little help is appreciated.

2. danster Forum Addict

It will be an o ring. The housing is black plastic?
    The housings are bad for breaking up inside around where the o ring sits. This could be the problem and not just the o ring itself.

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

theres a good chance the housing is cracked , very common

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

as above,then sealanty added to bodge it up. best have a word with the dealer and get a new housing. you may also need a pair of new bolts to secure the thermostat housing to the main body. VW changed the design of the housing a few years back, the original parts had threaded inserts and the new ones use self-tapping screws. I didnt know this at the time and I had to go back to the dealer again to buy some screws!

5. 88jetta350 Forum Member

Well, the stealership want 80 euros for the blasted thing.... what about aftermarket?