1.3 on Bike Carbs

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by phil21191, Oct 13, 2010.

1. phil21191 Forum Member

I'm looking to bike carb my '89 1.3 Golf to go alongside a Polo GT cam for a bit of extra poke.

Manifold etc I can fabricate and weld up no problem. However I have three minor questions to help on my quest

1) Which carbs are best suite, 600/1000 & any particularly manufacturer (R1 carbs seem the most popular but R6 seems to be suggested for 1.3s)?

2) What jetting would I need for above carbs, again it seems 600cc carbs would be best suited and won't need rejetting?

3) Are there any bike carbs that have an auto choke or will I have to run a choke cable through the bulk head and behind the dash?

2. danster Forum Addict

R1 carbs are meant to sit at quite a steep angle, so the float chambers are not ideal when mounted in a more horizontal plane like when fitted on the small block Polo / Golf engine.

I found Suzuki GSXR cabs were ideal and come in 34, 36, 38, and 40mm sizes. The outer 2 carbs were in perfect line with cylinders 1 and 4, it only require slight angling of 2 and 3 runners to mate to the centre 2 and 3 carbs. :thumbup:

3. phil21191 Forum Member

That covers my first question nicely. Assuming no rejetting is required am I likely to need to run a choke cable or will the car start over the winter without choke? If not whats the best way to run a cable through

4. danster Forum Addict

Some bike carbs have a choke cable facility so that would be ideal. You will need the choke in the winter months. There should be various holes in the bulkhead to fit a choke cable through.

I would expect some re-jetting would be required, but this can only be done once the engine is up and running.

5. G60RCaol Forum Member

600cc carbs work well on the 1300s. R6's are also good ones. I never needed a choke on bike or twin 40's on my 1300s. Once its running you just have to feather the throttle for <1minute. They run with standard jetting, but you will need to change it.

6. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like a great little conversion there. :thumbup:

Will be good to see it when its done...

7. phil21191 Forum Member

Can you offer any more information as far as jet sizes are needed for a standard 2G engine, gives me a a base to work from as the carbs will be the first addition. As far as starting with a choke did they struggle or we're they easy enough to get going.

I'm also looking at a piper fast road cam rather than a standard Polo GT one of a little more poke, and the exhaust manifold will be mated to a Magnex twin 2.5" system.

If I get brave enough and can find the correct information then I'll eventually run it on a Megasquirt?ECU and look into forced induction

She's already a goodun' for the 100 quid I paid

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  8. olipirate Forum Member

1.6mm is what i ran on my 1300. on gsxr 600 carbs. ran well.

9. phil21191 Forum Member

Any ideas what jet number is 1.6mm as I'd like to keep the jets so they can be put back if needs be.

10. mk216vrick Forum Member

1.6mm = 160 jet sizd as far as im aware, i carried out this conversion over the weekend. 1.3 gt polo, boggbro's manifold, cbr600 carbs, unsure of jets used, was already set up by boggbro's. U need to think more about throttle linkage as that takes a bit of thinking. Good luck and its a great mod. Oh yes, get bike pump to match carbs makes things easier.

11. orangecruz Forum Member

got a set of gsxr carbs for sale and mani if your intrested pm me

12. phil21191 Forum Member

The carbs from a Bandit 600(GSF600) seem to be going for a more desireable price any ideas if these would be suited?

13. mk216vrick Forum Member

they should do it, google 'cbr600' and compare the sizes and compare to the ones u have seen. U want 34mm from memory.

14. olipirate Forum Member

if your going bogg bros. you can do dcoe/dhla's for cheaper..

15. phil21191 Forum Member

Im good enough with a welder to knock together a manifold myself, besides Bogg bros are the other side of the country.

16. Wilmal Forum Member

17. Jools Forum Member

I ran R6 carbs on a 1300 polo with a p&p'd head.
    The standard jets are 1.5mm and are if anything abit rich. its ran smooth as an needed only balancing to get it going lovely.

recommend R6 carbs for any 1300-1600, and R1 for 1800-2000.

18. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Does anyone remember the Red MK2 Golf 1.3 Twin carb'd monster which was featured in PVW a few years ago. Iirc, was tracked out, with rallye spots on the front.

From what i can remember it was quite a detailed and impressive build, and was running some serious power from the 1.3.

19. G60RCaol Forum Member

There was a polo in PVW on bike throttle bodies or carbs producing 175bhp. I think it had a fair amount of work though, maybe even a bike engine's head.

20. phil21191 Forum Member

Went for bandit carbs in the end, here's some progress shots of the manilfold

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm just waiting for work to sort me out with a KK600 baseplate for my Pipercross airfilter, then I've gotta make up some velocity stacks to mount the filter