1.3 on twin dhla's starting issues

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by olipirate, Apr 28, 2010.

1. olipirate Forum Member

hi ok so ive got freshly rebuilt 40s on the motor. I have spark and fuel.

When trying to start, it fires sometimes but doesnt want to pick up which is odd.

A friend said to check the float levels so i had a look and adjusted them up a bit (bent the bracket in), still has the same symptoms but maybe a little closer to starting?

Any ideas of what to check would help alot. The engine was running on sunday with the bike carbs on it btw.

2. G60RCaol Forum Member

Well if it was running with bike carbs it looks like it is the carbs, is your fuel pressure high enough? 3.0psi will do it, you may have only been running 1-1.5psi on bike carbs?

Floats need to be 15mm in the lightly seated position with the gasket in place, and 25mm at droop.

If you're using the pumps you got off me give it three full depressions of the accelerator and then crank... if you hadn't already..

Did you adjust the timing, if youve just put it back together maybe the dizzy/belt timing is miles out?

3. olipirate Forum Member

so where do i measure from to set the float levels?

Yeh im using your pumps and did pump it 3 times prior to starting.

If someone has a diagram to set them that would be a big help.

4. G60RCaol Forum Member

The end of the each float has to be 15mm to the cover body with gasket in position, this is when the needle valve is lightly seated (it should sit in that position happily since it's sprung)

Then let them hang down and adjust them to 25mm to the gasket but bending the tab which touches on the needle valve body...

5. olipirate Forum Member

right i get you, ill have a measure and make sure the needle valves arent sticking later

6. olipirate Forum Member

ok now it shoots flames out of cylinder 1 and 2 but dies if you stop pumping the throttle. Fuel pressure 3.5psi.

Confused.

7. G60RCaol Forum Member

What idles do you have? Have you checked the timing (cam and dizzy?)

8. olipirate Forum Member

i cant remember what idles are in the carbs, it is however running now. Was running too much advance on the dizzy, runs like a champ now.

Its idling at like 3k which is pretty lame (probably due to the adjustment screw being in too far). Its raining here now so ill have to have a fiddle tomorrow. If i can get it to idle satisfactorily then im happy.

Anyone decent for setting up dhla's in the south (bournemouth/salisbury/southampton region)? I guess ill have to raise the car to get it on any rollers tho :(

9. G60RCaol Forum Member

Good stuff, how do you find them compared to the bike carbs for sound?

There isn't that many about that are good with carbs really (could just be my area!), maybe worth a trip to somewhere that has good knowledge/reviews. I've had mine "setup" twice now worse than i could do it myself.

10. olipirate Forum Member

sound and power is more on dhla's for sure.

They sound absolutely insane. Best thing ive done to the car for sure [:D].