1.3 to ABF

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by holty, Nov 19, 2010.

1. holty Forum Member

Ok, had enough of useless good for nothing power of a 1300 now, i have an ABF lump waiting to go in so ive decided it's time to do it!

So far i think im most of the way there on the parts list, heres a list of stuff i have followed by a list of stuff i know i need, is there anything else im going to need/change?

i have:
    engine
    box
    ancillarys

i need:
    engine loom
    ecu
    driveshafts-unless i can use my 1.3 shafts?
    diffrent fuel pump-which one?
    new radiator?

this is all i can think of at the moment, now obviously i know you can't tell me every little part im going to need because u can't see the huge box of bits and bobs that came with the engine! But i just mean any major parts that are needed to do the conversion.

sorry im not too good at explaining things, but any help/advice is much appreciated :thumbup:

thanx in advance, Ben

2. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Contact rubjonny for a plug and play loom, he's damn good at them. Driveshaft off a 1.8 mk2, ecu from early abf for no immob, gti rad from a mk2. I recommend mk2 16v gearbox for under ratios.

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Oh yeah. Fuel pump. Get a mk2 k-jet one.

4. holty Forum Member

thanx for the reply shaz :thumbup: i shall get on to rubjonny straight away!

One other thing is obviously going to need to upgrade brakes, would i be able to use 1.8 8v front calipers with my servo etc? Only reason I'm choosing these is because I know they fit under my wheels, because i can't afford wheels yet to run bigger brakes [8(]
    Just looking for slightly better brakes for now until i can afford better/bigger ones :)

5. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

You need to change the discs, if your calipers say VW II then they will work with 8v GTi brakes. To be honest I'd look to upgrade your brakes mate, I have a 1.8 8v GTi and the brakes on it aren't enough for my liking.

Poke around ebay, picked up some bottle tops which clear 16v brakes for 15 quid with ok tyres on them.

You won't really need bigger than 256mm with the ABF if it's pretty standard, rubjonny runs them and his car is fine to drive, brakes stop well enough to throw his toolbox from the boot almost into his lap.

6. holty Forum Member

Haha! Ok well it looks as if I'm getting my old g60s back so i'll look out for some 16v brakes when i have the money :thumbup:

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

fuel pump setup can be used from mk3 golf, get lines, tank and filter housing from any petrol model, pump use mk3 gti, 16v or vr6. k-jet mk2 pump also works but you also need the lifter pump from the tank, plus lines between it and main pump. under-car lines you need from mk2 8v or 16v gti. if get digi pipes need to mod pump, if k-jet need to get 2 fittings cut out of k-jet mk2 metering head lines.

rad mk2 1.8 8v, shafts gti 8v or 16v, or 90spec 1.8 carby. box 8v gti or 16v will do both same ratios except shorter 5th on 16v and late 8v have taller 2nd. you'll need the gear stick and all linkages too.

zaust fit mk2/3 16v manifold, mk3 2.0 8v/16v or corrado g60/2.0 16v downpipe and cat bypass, then fit oem 16v mk2 system to that.

oh and highly recommend you fit a roll bar while engine is out. if possible something aftermarket, but oem mk2 one will still make a nice upgrade. and if want pas engine out best time to fit it

8. holty Forum Member

Thanx RJ, there's a little more involved than I thought!

9. rubjonny

still all easy spannering work, nothing too hard everything is a direct bolt-in fit no customisation required. at the very worst you might have to chop your cat bypass down a little, but that depends on the mkae of it. miltek one is bolt on fit :)

10. holty Forum Member

My car doesn't have a cat so could I just by-pass the idea of that?

11. bigmac Forum Member

Hi, I dont wish to hijack this thread.
    but i am doing this conversion at the moment, but i have a 96, 16v as a doner vehicle.
    What i want to know is - will the mk3 front cross member fit or is the 1.3 one up to the
    job ? i was hoping to convert to 5 stud wheels when i do the conversion, in order to have the
    wide track and big brakes.
    thanks Allan
    Ps good luck with your conversion .

12. rubjonny

all mk3s have a cat from the factory. the idea of using the cat bypass isnt really to remove the cat as we all know mk2s do not need them for the mot. the idea of fitting cat bypass is for the built in lambda probe boss which you need for abf managment, and it allows you to bolt on a mk2 16v exhaust system easier. the oem mk2 16v downpipe will fit perfectly fine but it has a massive resonator box which is a faff to fit over the subframe, plus you'll need to weld a lambda boss onto it. MK3 downpipes have added advantage as are easier to work with since they barely poke thru the subframe, so dead easy to change even with engine in situ.

assuming you mean the very front one the front engien mount and radiator sits on? if so the mk3 front crossmember wont fit, the bolt holes are offset. the main engien carrier will swap right over though, you dont need to change it for abf/widetrack but in your case its probably easier since you'll want to drop the old subframe to fit the roll bar anyway. might as well drop the old one off and fit the mk3 one complete with wishbones etc still bolted on.

13. holty Forum Member

[:$] i get it! better get on with collecting parts then