1.3 Turbo ???????

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Big-G, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Big-G New Member

Hi all, Just read Golf + and I'm feeling a little motivated ;)

Read about the blue Mk1 with Polo G40 engine and thought

Would it be worth doing a turbo conversion on my MK1 1.1 Golf C. But uber Cheapo :)

Was thinking along the lines of getting a 1.3 Polo GT lump - And fitting a Renault 5 Turbo carb (Something I know how to play with) and also the Garret T2 I've got sitting in the garage. Intercoolers no probs and I'd machine up a spacer plate to lower compression to allow decent boost.

Only one problem remains - how do I retard ignition for when the boost comes in ? Renault 5 AEI unit is simple but needs the R5 flywheel to work so its a no go [:^(]

Before people start telling me to drop a big block in, I want to do something different - and fun :lol:.

2. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Buy a G40 engine, sell the supercharger and buy a Rothe Turbo kit for it, much easier and will be so much more reliable :)

Alan

3. Big-G New Member

Reliable and lots of cash too though ?

Also I'm not good with electrics - hence wanting to keep the Carb ;)

4. rajmirch Forum Member

Do you remeber if the dizzy has a vacume cannister? i cant remember from when i last looked at mine. If so there are vacume canisters that retard the boost rather than advance, if your just using low boost (upto 6psi) this should be fine

5. nando Forum Member

yo raj have you fitted that turbo yet?

6. rajmirch Forum Member

still working on it dude, need to go see your guy about the manifold!!

7. Polo Classic Forum Member

Was thinking along the lines of getting a 1.3 Polo GT lump - And fitting a Renault 5 Turbo carb (Something I know how to play with) and also the Garret T2 I've got sitting in the garage. Intercoolers no probs and I'd machine up a spacer plate to lower compression to allow decent boost.

GT is wrong engine to start with, to high CR, a standard one should do better. T2 is probably too small

Crank should probably be ok, but pistons probably wont

8. Big-G New Member

Cheers, Thought the GT bottom end might be stronger ? Also thought that the GT cam might be a bit too much for a turbo application though ?

Compression ratio isnt really a problem as I'd make up a spacer plate.

Found this though - which should be good enough to sort the ignition problem ! www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=ROAD&a mp;pcode=LUMEMS5

Just need to knock up a manifold and oil feed for the tubo ;)

Garret T2 is used in the Reno 5 as standard (1.4) is good enough to supply enough for 160ish bhp. Should be ok to start, same mounting flange as T25 so I could upgrade later.

9. rajmirch Forum Member

yep go for a T2.

I actually have manifolds for the newer Polo engine in 8V and 16V 1.4/1.6 but they wont fit the old engines [:^(] They use T2s

10. nando Forum Member

hi, there are a few G40's thatrun turbos so getting a manifold shouldn't be to hard. T2's are a go size for a 1.3 as they were used in R5's and uno turbos some of which had 170+ easy.

think the GT block runs a high CR of 11,i could be wrong.so getting the CR down to a levelthat would letyou run a turbo you'd need a spacerofabout 3mm thick which would mean you'd find it very hard fitting the timing belt(if it fitted).

some of the old 1.3s did havelowish CR's and you could even get away with low boost on those engines as long as you keep the boost temps down.

11. Big-G New Member

Cheers nando ;)

Just had a look through a few Haynes manuals.

1272 HH engine seems to be the one I'm after. Nice low 8.2:1 ratio and 60bhp standard.

Probably get away without the spacer on that with a small skim on the pistons and decentintercooler fitted.

Anyone know where I can find out all the models that came with the HH engine fitted ? More I know off the better chance of me finding a cheap decent one. ;)