1.4 tsi 'twincharger' swap

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Benjo, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Benjo Forum Member

Both the engine & gearbox on my '91 corrado 16v are on their last legs, so I've been looking at the available options. Rather than go down the 9a/6a/abf etc route I'd quite like a newer engine - better technology, <50k mileage engine availability etc. I quite fancy the aforementioned 1.4 twincharger motor fitted to the mk5 golf GT. This should bring the corrado down into the lower road tax bracket, & save me some money on fuel. Spot on for a daily driver!
    So, my question is: Has anybody got any experience of doing this, or know of anyone who has performed this conversion into a mk2/3 golf or corrado?

The main parts I'm interested in are engine architecture, i.e. what gearbox (02J/S?) & if a normal 4cyl rear engine mount bracket fits. I'd also like to find out downpipe & wiring/ecu details.

Please keep replies specific to the above question - I'm not really interested in any "should fit an abf turbo blah blah blah etc".:thumbd:

cheers [:D]

2. Collie Forum Junkie

sounds like a great project.

what ecu etc you thinking of running? so many questions in my head

3. mk3anniversary Forum Member

You sure about the tax bracket thingy???

Didn't think it would apply to a car of that age.

4. craggsy Forum Member

The tax will go on the age of the car.......but go for it. Will be something different

5. coullstar Forum Member

Have you driven a car with this engine? If you havent I suggest you do before starting.

6. Benjo Forum Member

@ mk3anniversary:

As far as I'm aware, the road tax is based on engine size for cars manufactured prior to March 2001. From the information here, anything under 1549cc costs 125 p/a, and anything over costs 190 p/a. I thought the diference was greater than that when I put the first post up.
    I've seen loads+loads+loads of cars for sale with larger engines fitted, e.g. 1.3 mk2 golf cl -> vr6 where the seller has stated that they didn't notify the dvla of the engine size change in order to avoid the increase in road tax. So purely from that reasoning I figured if the dvla can increase the cost of road tax on an old car due to an engine swap, it should also work the other way. That's assuming there are logical processes going on behind closed doors obviously. In a government organisation. Hmm... Unlikely?!:lol:

@ craggsy:

The golf GT came out over here in 2006, & I find it hard to believe that nobody has done a transplant yet - it produces good power, is boosted, & far too quirky to have been completely overlooked surely?! I suspect there may be two reasons for not doing it; 1.8Ts & 2.0 tfsi motors are easier/cheaper/more powerful (why is everyone obsessed with 300hp these days?!), and/or there is no easy/straightforward way to fit the 1.4tsi motor into a mk2/3 chassis. Be that interfence between motor/chassis or simply a lack of bolt-on parts perhaps?

@ Collie:

I would use stock management, but have the immobiliser turned off at the same time as having it remapped (~200bhp apparently)

@ coullstar:

Should I take it that you have, & weren't particularly impressed? I haven't driven one, but a friend of mine has & he said it was great. I'm on pretty good terms with my local stealer so will have a nose about next time I'm over there picking up parts. I'm sure they'll swap a bag of warm donuts for a pair of keys for half an hour [:D]

7. coullstar Forum Member

My mothers has has two A3's with it and Im completely underwhelmed. Its also sounds pretty crap but then thats in a big heavy car. Could be interesting though.

8. INA

INA Forum Member

whatever happened with this?

9. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

amazing engines, when there working!!

I currently have one stipped due to mega miss fires, not the first I've seen
    before you start drive one, you'll need a lot of the factory wiring, sure the ECU has a different immobilser system, not that easy to get switched off as 1.8T's

10. Ditchyboy Forum Member

interesting idea with the tax bracket thing, i was thinking it was the car more than the engine but would be good to know. and my 8v gti is 205 not 190?!

11. jimk04 Forum Member

gearbox is 02t. Looks similar to j but dont know much else.

12. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

six speed version derived out of a 02A/J in apperance

13. richwig83 Forum Member

If your considering an engine swap... i wouldnt bother with the 1.4 and try and get hold of a 2.0TFSI engine from a 200PS GTI etc.

Theres less to go wrong with the 2.0T rather than the twin charger setup!

HOWEVER.... which ever you choose to do it will be a great project to do and will result in a quick and hopefully more reliable car!

14. richwig83 Forum Member

On MK5golfgti.co.uk there is a brand new 2.0TFSI lump for sale... 1200!

15. The_bug Forum Member

I considered this but engines were too expensive and impossible to get hold of. Also the mounts are of course all wrong being the 1.4 and there isnt even prevision for the golf mounts on the block. I ended up looking for a 1.4 16v instead but gave up on the mounting problems (custom mounts would be needed...) and gearbox differences and breather locations and ... and ... and.

1.8T fitted nicely though ;).

16. Benjo Forum Member

I ended up selling the Corrado back in April, so the swap thing sort of died then.
    Not really interested in 1.8T or 2.0FSI swaps, they just don't do anything for me - fancied something different.
    Am currently (slowly!) fitting a 170ps V5 into my mk2, but what with the constantly increasing fuel prices I'm not sure how long it'll stay in the 'bay once I've finished it. I still really like the idea of the small twincharger motor fitted with a much bigger supercharger running silly boost. Something a little different, y'know.
    But then again, I also keep considering a 3.0tdi quattro conversion! Just need to get the V5 done etc & put some miles on it. I'm pretty sure the 5cyl wail will straighten me out! ;):lol: