1.6 crossflow question - differences between AEK and AFT?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mr.brown, Oct 22, 2016.

1. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

On the face of it, the AEK and AFT appear to be similar - they are both EA827 and both have identical power figures - 100bhp. However, the later AFT is shown as slightly higher torque - 140Nm compared to 135 and this comes lower down the revs - 3500rpm instead of 4400.

Does anyone now why this is? Is it something to do with the hardware or the software?

Also, can anyone confirm that these are short blocks?

Ta:thumbup:

2. TomAKL

TomAKL Paid Member Paid Member

The AFT engine has a 'VLIM' (Variable Length Inlet Manifold) which is vacuum operated and opens up a longer inlet tract throughout the rev range, This means more torque at low revs and then the inlet opens up to allow a different airflow for sustained power at high revs.

The AEK engine does not have a fancy inlet manifold, just one fixed length tract. So power/torque is presumably focused more in the middle of the rev range.

I don't know exactly but i'd be surprised if the 2 cylinder heads differ much inside, just the inlet manifold that makes the differences to power/torque. The Mk4 Golf/Bora AKL engine has the same type VLIM but a plastic manifold. And alloy block and head too i think.

Also from my old readings i wanna say they are all short blocks :)

Tom

3. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, Tom. That makes sense now with the variable intake & torque. It'll be interesting to see how the VLIM works.

AKL is definitely alloy block - it's been covered in detail elsewhere on this forum.