1.6 driver problem!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by sam-ski, Sep 13, 2008.

1. sam-ski Forum Member

after putting my foot down abit and changing up a gear i then found a minute later that my car was being very irratic and i could hear it miss fire, it would stall when moving off at low revs.

any ideas?

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Pop the HT leads off the plugs, and look for tracking marks up the spark plugs' insulators.

Just fixed my gf's bloody Vauxhall with similar symptoms by cleaning such marks off one of the plugs (and cleaning out the part of the HT lead that goes there).

Could be something completely different, but that's very easy to try. :)

3. sam-ski Forum Member

what did you use to clean it?

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

The universal engine bay cleaning solution - kitchen roll :lol:

Try not to leave any flecks of paper around though, they'll tend to absorb moisture and cause future problems.

Clean, lint-free rag would be better.

5. sam-ski Forum Member

LOL!

it may be a dumb question but, what do you meen by tracking marks?

cheers

6. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

You'd know them if you had them TBH. Black lines coming up the white insulator towards the top. Couldn't find my camera to photograph it before I put it back unfortunately.

7. sam-ski Forum Member

just started the car and reversed it out and drove for 2 minutes, was fine then started again :(

8. sam-ski Forum Member

it just goes dead groggy and hard to pull off, and also you can hear it back fire then you put your foot down and nothing and then it just takes off. it also stalls alot when trying to pull off etc :(

9. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I had this problem on mine when the green ball on the side of the engine and the vac pipe came off. Have you checked that thats connected? Just a thought.....

10. sam-ski Forum Member

was ok for like two weeks, i cleaned the carb with cleaner, and the filter and topped up oil and then tightened the top of the spark plugs and it worked, now again its doing it :(

it seems to only be after sprinted drives!, a few days ago the temperature gauge died, could this be a reason? when it first happend it was very hot and the gauge said just over half, now it was a good 15 minute hardish drive, if the temp gauge/the reader in the engine bay has broke could it then tell the radiator to not kick in resulting in stalling, jurky acceleration and stalling?

cheers

11. bigman_10 Forum Member

no more north than south and no more east than wes
    it might be your vacuum pipes i dont think this would make it back fire but i had similar problems on my 1.3 when the vac pipe off the airbox got clogged, do the revs drop off when hot at idle?

If its not your plugs llike EZ_pete said i'm just stabbing in the dark with the above:) !

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  12. garnetteyes Forum Member

First thing to do is change the dizzy cap, rotor arm and plugs. Check the earth strap from the coil to the cam cover is actually there and intact, if it's not you can run some heavy grade wire from the bolts on the coil to one of the bolts on the cam cover.

Failing those I would look at swapping the coil or the other possibility is the ignition amplifier (located in under the scuttle cover on the drivers side of the car). You should get an ignition amplifier from a scrappy from any MK2 (or MK1 GTi).

13. c6mby Forum Member

how odd i have the same problem
    ive just changed plugs leads dissy cap rotor arm and it still the same.
    what exactly is the green ball with vacum pipe coming off it?and what does it do?
    hope someone can help
    regards
    sam

14. sam-ski Forum Member

does yours drive fine then one day it will go rubbish then hours later be ok?

a few people have said it could be over fueling as it only seems to happen when you floor it into the 4000+ rpm etc and it stinks of fuel and doesn't do the best mpg?

hmm =[

15. garnetteyes Forum Member

The green ball is to help it start, it 'holds' a vac pressure. I have a spare 2e2 carb, probably good for spares

16. sam-ski Forum Member

i dont have a green ball :S

17. Drew21 Forum Member

if you haven't got a green ball, you probably have a weber, at least I hope you have a weber cos the 2e2 would struggle without its green ball (vac reservoir)

18. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

hi there, I put the link to this in here only because I had very similar symptoms a month or so ago and at the conclusion of the thread it turned out to be the distributor (a faulty hall sender switch)

I also tried the TCI ignition module and the ignition coil (amongst almost everything else DAMMIT) before finally finding the solution. Worth a look; http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169164

19. sam-ski Forum Member

sweet, sounds exactly as to what i have, how much was your distributor? and where did you get it?

cheers mate

sam :)

20. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Read the thread he's linked... ;)