1.6 EZ GTi-ing. Need parts, especiallly Weber carbs

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by WilliamT23, Oct 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. WilliamT23 New Member

Hi guys, William here, I'm from Transylvania, and own a 1.6 mk2 3door, automatic. The car is really lacking power, wont go much over 120km/h, meanwhile eating a whole lot of gas, and oil too. I'm planning on taking it apart, and servicing the motor, and add some goodies to it in the process. I was thinking of swapping the camshaft to an 8v gti, maybe head also and distributor, if it's worth it(maybe you guys can help me out on this one?), and do a manifold/downpipe swap also from the gti. Ii want to buy Weber dmtls too, but this is a bit tricky here in RO, so if any of you has one for sale, sh too please pm me. The car is going to undergo a gb swap, ditching the automatic, to a gti 5speed. Hope it's the right one. Also, on using the clutch, should I get a gti one(210mm) or the 190 mm would cut it?
    I'm looking forward to your feedback, am I on the right path, not, what should I do differently, etc. Any advice is welcone! Thx

2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Welcome William :thumbup:
    You've come to the right place for advice just not from me [:s] I'm good at general stuff or KR engines .

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the cam is definitely worth it, the gti head also flows better so I would get one if the 1.6 head is coming off anyway. the kjet gti dizzy is also a nice upgrade it has a better ignition map, though you may struggle to get one. the stock 1.6 dizzy will get you going so you can always get one later. definitely put on the gti 4-2-1 manifold and downpipe it'll really free it up :thumbup:

the 2e2 carb is actually pretty good, if you can fix it! otherwise bung a weber on it. the main thing is if you use a GTI head this wont have the coolant outlet for the 2e2 so you'll either have to fit a weber regardless, or drill a hole in the back after comparing the diameter and angle with the old carb head.

the 1.6 clutch should be fine really, but I'd get a 210mm one anyway then if you decide to go for more power later you can keep it. go for a sachs made oen and you wont go wrong, you'll need a 1.8 210mm flywheel to match it obviously.

4. WilliamT23 New Member

Thanks a lot, folks. Especially rubjonny. I hope i will get everything right. Either way I will have to get a new carb, because on the automatic is a bit different... Was also thinking bike carbs, but i'll keep that for a future project,swap maybe to a 16v kr.tips on headwork maybe? I think I should skim it a bit, so i get some respectable compression ratio... And while it'll be off i'll do some minor porting/polishing on it too...