1.6 mk2 Carburettor problem :(

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Mr.Hafberg, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Mr.Hafberg New Member

I'm really new to VW engines and I don't know anything about fixing the carb.

I just recently bought an 1.6 Mk2 Jetta that has an automatic gearbox.
    When I bought it, the was running at 2000-3000 rpm idle randomly at starts and after driving so I disconnected the hose that goes to the carb.
    Then the rpm got lowered to 700-1000 idle what sounds allot better but the car is spending around 10-16l per 100km. And also felt like the car loosing power after I disconnected the hose.

Is there someone who can tell me how I can fix it? Like I said I don't know anything about carburettors and VW engines, so if there is someone who can post some photos for better guiding or video it would be great.

Sorry for my English if it's not corrected written.

Thanks.
    [:D]

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Mr Hafberg, that high-revving at idle usually is caused by one of two things on the Pierburg 2e2 carb.

No power to the thermotime valve (TTV), often due to a wire breaking near to its connector, or a fuse blowing on earlier cars.

Waxstat needing replacement or insufficient coolant flow to it.

If you perform a search within this forum, and look at the carb FAQ section above you'll find many references to both of these things.

Whichever solution works, your fuel consumption should reduce as soon as the high-idling is fixed.

Rubjonny's 2e2 FAQ thread is particularly useful for Pierburg problems, in case you haven't already seen it.

Which hose did you disconnect? A coolant hose or a vacuum/air hose?
    Do you have any pictures of your carb in its current state that you can post?