1.6 Mk2 idling problem

Discussion in 'Engines' started by muppet9966, Apr 25, 2005.

1. muppet9966 Forum Member

Hi there,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I've got a 1988 1.6 Mk2, engine code EZ. It has a Pierburg carb (although Im not sure which one) with auto choke.

My problem is occasionally my car when started will idle rough and usually turn off. Sometimes holding the accelerator pedal and revving the engine for a few minutes helps and then the car will work fine.

Ive heard that the carb can be a pain however I do not want to replace it with the Webber.

Also at certain revs, the battery light occasionally flickers, however this could be because the alternator belt seems loose and I will replace this week, but Im not sure.

Another problem I have is, when the car does work and idle correctly, there is a popping sound coming from the rear exhaust, this may be because of a hole on in the exhaust pipe but this has been filled.

The following is what I have had done:

Spark plugs, HT leads, Dist. cap, and rotor arm.

The following is what I am getting done during this week:

Timing belt, alternator belt, rocker cover gasket, oil, and oil filter.

Any help would be very grateful,

Thanx

mUpPeT