1.6 mk2 turbo

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by acull2000, May 17, 2004.

1. acull2000 New Member

Does anyone know if its possible to put a turbo on a 1.6 8v carb engine? Sounds crazy but would be fun :p (engine code EZ, pierburg carb, 75bhp 1595cc)

2. D4RK1 Forum Member

anything is possible but for the cost it would be so much easier to get a turbo motor in instead.

3. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

only been joined a day and already asks a stupid question.....

don't be silly now.....

4. prof Forum Addict

a 2.0 conversion would be way way easier and cheaper

5. acull2000 New Member

Yeah stupid question but someone had to ask it! ;)

I'm not really up for doing an engine transplant as this is my first car and im still learning... just thought given the right turbo, manifolds and tubing you could theoretically fit a charger onto a 1.6 mk2? [:$]

why would this cost so much? surely not more than a 2L conversion??

6. jake Forum Member

you mad man! Its so easy to swap an engine that your mum could do it, ybut it's incredibly hard to turbo one. Even that maths you'd need to do is way beyond me plus there is the custom fabrication of bits, intercooler, pipe work engine management and the problems of containing pressure in the carb (search for posts on draw through and pressurised carbs in turbo cars and use of plenum chambers) the cost of a useable turbo and manifold or intercooler would out weigh the cost of dropping a 2.0 motor in your car. I picked up a 2.0 engine complete for 150 or so but that was a while ago and you can get them much cheaper now. Also it would be much quicker to do; about a day if you dont have too many fag breaks. It would be reliable and cheaper to insure. Plus you would have to remove the 1.6 anyways, to get it machined and modified for the turbo.

personally I'd stick a bigger engine in it, you can get some good power for next to no money. (If you want a 1.8 gti engine PM me..... ;) )

7. acull2000 New Member

Ok so now its beginning to sound a little more complicated than i expected ;)

Id love an 8v gti but wount be able to afford the insurance - is well over a grand and a half as it is [:^(]

I think Im gonna have to do some more subtle mods to bring my 75bhp up.... gti exhaust downpipe and cam etc

Thanks everyone for your help :p