1.6 new beetle 'engine' smell in cabin

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by g_singh, Dec 3, 2009.

1. g_singh Forum Member

Hi, this has been bugging me for a while as i cant find the source of the problem. the wife has a 2001 1.6 beetle, and when the fan is turned on you can smell petrol/oil type smells coming in to the cabin.

When i had it serviced i had it checked out as well as the exhaust which is leak free, i have also changed the pollen filter for a vag one, the bonnet seal is tight too, but the odour is still there, i was thinking of getting the engine steam cleaned to remove the oil and road dirt, which, once warm may produce the odour.

Want to get this sorted as wife is expecting soon. Any ideas or similar experiences?

Thanks,
    G

2. g_singh Forum Member

Anyone?

3. Supercharged Forum Member

Look at oil leaks onto manifolds and also exhaust gasket leaks - missing studs?

4. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

well if it's not an oil leak burning off on the exhaust then i'd put money on it being a split PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) hose.

check any hoses between the rocker cover and intake pipe.

5. g_singh Forum Member

Thanks for the input.

i'll check for oil leaks, defo not exhaust gas.

Phat vr6, there is a hose which goes from the rocker to the airbox which was off and has a broken clip, which i have pushed back on, so that may need securing properly.

6. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Better to clean off any oil with a solvent like carburettor cleaner and then a compressed air line to dry it off, don’t steam clean the engine