1.6 swap to 1.8 - 2E2 to Monopoint also?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by WAUOla, Apr 3, 2021.

1. WAUOla Forum Member

Hey!
    Going to prepare a bit for the season. Old trusty rusty 1.6 should be swapped for a 1.8 'RP' bottom end & 4+E gearbox while at it.

However. I believe the 2E2 fitted the 1.6 would cope with the same-as-GU 1.8 'RP' bottom end.
    My question now however: does it make sense to swap for Monopoint injection from 'RP' as well?

The carb'ed setup probably maintains a certain simplicity to it over monopoint. If the 2Ex tricks up, Weber 32/34 DMTL kit is not far away. I do not expect any performance gains on monopoint 1.8 vs carb'ed 1.8 due identical C/R etc.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

keep the monopoint stuff just in case but the old 2e2 should work fine. performance wise it'll be same as a 1.8 carb as you say its basically the same engine. you could put a gti cam and kjet distributor on it for a bit of pep, and while its apart a gti exhaust system would be an ide. once you start pepping it up though you'll probably find the old carb cant keep up.

its up to you from thewre if you want to keep it carb or go with the monopoint, but its the same effort to fit complete gti injection instead except you would also have to change the head. you could go for a 2.0 bottom end and 1.8 head, or just fit a full mk3 lump and injection. or go mk4 R32 :lol:

3. WAUOla Forum Member

Heh yes. Sky is the limit.

But I seek somewhat more humble upgrades, alike optimization of what this car was to begin with. And I do think Monopoint or carb is more or less same.

Ideally a PnP head down the road, upgraded to GTI spec inlet valves.

TA technix manifold, dBilas 266/110/11.4mm camshaft, Jetex stainless 2.5" is already sorted.

edit: what is there to gain with GTI distributor?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the kjet distributor has a more aggressive ignition map, so that plus gti cam will get you up to gti power levels