1.6 to 1.8

Discussion in '8-valve' started by gje99, Jan 19, 2010.

1. gje99 New Member

The 1600 engine in my 1982 mk1 gti could do with an overhaul or replacement. Replacement 1800 engines seem to be plentiful, 1600s less so. Is it an easy swap and what effect does it have on the wiring, gearbox etc?

If anyone has a 1600 or 1800 I'd be interested - engine only or engine and gearbox.

2. chopperoli Forum Member

Stay with the original 1600 if at all possible, they are rare and underestimated!

3. adam611 Forum Member

If you really wanted you could fit the 1.8 crank, pistons and carb and hey presto a 1.8 carb engine, on your original engine number i may add! but you would need a new gearbox/clutch/flywheel and bigger driveshafts too.

I dont believe there are any differences between the 1.8 and 1.6 driver wiring!

I would advies things like fitting better brakes and ARBs first though, powers good but being able to stop is better!

Alternativley you could rebuild your engine and it should run like a dream, only cost a few hundred quid for all new bearings, piston rings and seals.

4. chopperoli Forum Member

His sig says 1982 GTI, being a 1.6 then it will be the 'EG' Heron head motor. You can't swap a normal 1.8 crank etc into that actually.

5. danster Forum Addict

This is incorrect as the above poster states. The 1588cc and 1595cc are very different in a number of ways.
    He also says it is a gti so does not have driver carb wiring.
    Fitting a 1.8 dx or ev engine is probably the closest and easiest way of increasing the capacity if you must. 2.0 is more work but could be done also.

6. adam611 Forum Member

I really should read the post propperly, oops[:$] [:$] [:$]