1.76 Camber Gauge

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Dub Nutta, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Dub Nutta Forum Member

Had this idea for ages and finally got round do knocking one up ahead of an event at the weekend... Relies on the car being on a level surface but should do the same job as the 100 Pace gauge but just requires a little trig to work out the angle.

The distance between the bolts is known and the bolts are 1mm pitch so the number of turns to get the level vertical is also known. Therefore it makes a right angle triangle which the opposite and adjcent sides are known, number of turns x pitch and distance between bolts respectivly, using a bit of simple maths the angle can be calculated.

It's easily accurate to 2 decimal places so should do the job

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a bargian tracking gauge idea aswell so might get round to making that up soon

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  2. Admin Guest

:clap: Lovely simple idea.

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Nice idea Ray. I've done something similar with tracking -ally bar etc, but can't find the thread.

I'll post a link if I do.

Moved to chassis for now - may FAQ. Cheers.

4. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

You can get a digital spirit level, a bit more expensive but works very well

5. Ray268

Ray268 Forum Member

This is the same as i use, the thing people need to know before making one up is
    The car must be on absolutely level ground, i use my car trailor & 2 jacks to make a level surface.
    Ray

6. Dub Nutta Forum Member

On another note i dont suppose anyone knows of any bathroom scales that read up to arround 200-300kg? most only go up to 150-155 so would be ok for cornerweighting the rear but no good for the front.

7. King Kwik

King Kwik Forum Member

A yank company sells something to allow ordinary household scales to be used.

Nice camber gauge thanks for the idea

Lee

Lee

8. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

9. bertelli_1 Forum Member

I have one of the sealey gauges - it works well. Surely any yank bathroom scales would read high enough - the fat bstds.

10. Sukh

Sukh Membership Team Admin

I use a sealey one as well, no complaints here does the job.
    Wouldn't mind a Longacre camber gauge either.

11. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

just get one from any survey supply shop. I have one it's just a counter weighted needle that always points up, and a scale in the background with degrees on it. i think it was about 7.

12. davidwort Forum Member

it relies on the centre of your wheel being suitable to get a flat positionning, I've not aleays found these great TBH,
    I use a builders spirit level(as I had one anyway) long enough to cross the face of the wheel and a couple of equal length bolts stuck to the edge of it with DS sticky tape, much the same as the above idea but with less parts! a long piece of batton, nice and straight with the same level resting on it to double check the level of the ground.

My dad used to have a huuuge metal protractor with a plumb line on it, specifically made for the job.

13. POL

pol Forum Member

great idea. anyone got more ideas for budget set up tools? what was the tracking idea?

was thinking about the corner weight ones previously as well but there are no scales cheap enough that will do the job. :( it's almost worth buying one of these (170 ish)
    [​IMG]

interested in a cheap caster gauge as well. anyone used one of these? they are fairly cheap and should do the job. (60ish)
    [​IMG]

14. vrbanana Forum Junkie

got one of these as a quick check thing, think they are about 20
    [​IMG]

15. Briankl Forum Member

I use this:
    [​IMG]

It allows me to adjust with the wheels off, so it's much easier.
    I put the jack stands under the outer end of the control arms so that the suspension is loaded realisticall. To ensure correct weigth distribution I also put the rear of the car on jack stands in the same height.

16. Admin Guest

I made my own budget camber guage years ago, it is basic but works. Just add fishing line and a weight. It is adjustable for different wheel sizes and can be leveled to the floor easily. Thought it ight be relevant for this thread, I could make more if people wanted them, it does not cost alot in materials.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2011
  17. mexicorich Forum Member

Surely it's incredibly difficult to judge when a fluid sprit level is dead vertical in that way?

Along the lines of Smudge's approach, I just drop a plumb line down each side of the car and measure the difference in the distance between the top and bottom of the wheel rims

18. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

That's how I used to do mine too. Tracking in a similar way, plumb-line on bricks from back to the front of the car, measuring distance from front & rear of wheel rims.

19. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Smudge, that looks very simple but effective :clap:

20. benthejettaman Forum Member

in the past i have used a spirit level app on the iphone as it has a degrees and minutes reading, with some alloy box section cut to fit the wheel