1.8 20v agn swaped to agu?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by dj_chilli, Jul 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. dj_chilli New Member

hi guys im just looking for some information or opinions. i have a golf gti 1.8 20v t reg which is the agu code. the car is undriveabel due to been smashed in the back end. any way i have found another golf the same colour and 5 door but is a 2001 model and the engine code is agn. but the agn engine is a non runner so i was wondering if my agu engine would fit into this with no problems and would i have to change anything about? thanks guys

2. dj_chilli New Member

any one please help?

3. wtdvwg40 Forum Member

engine will drop in with ease but you will have to mess about with some of the wiring.

If you have both cars then u could get it all done within a weekend with time for a beer or two

4. dj_chilli New Member

thanks. what kind off messing about with the wires would you mean. alot of it or just the odd bits thanks

5. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm not sure how much the engine looms differ between the two engine codes, but why not swap the engine, main engine loom and ECU. That way you know it will all fit.

Iirc, the AGN is an earlier engine code so it may have the similar wiring.

Certain plugs differ between the engine codes such as -

- Coil pack - 3 or 4 pin (boltdown or not)
    - Maf wiring - earlier and later codes have deferent plugs
    - knock sensors
    - Maybe ECU but not sure.

When I bought my Agu engine, it had Aum parts bolted to it, including the later cam cover to accept the different coil packs. So you may get away with swapping these bits and pieces over.

Hope that helps :thumbup:

6. priceygti Forum Member

if your swappign the ECU's over as Richard suggests you will have to swap the clocks and the ignition barrel from the AGU car aswell due to the immobiliser unless you get the ecu immob defeated which is easier in the long run

7. Richard Mk2

I think what might be easier when swapping the engine is, keep the existing AGN wiring loom, then transfer all the bits from the AGN (for eg - MAF, Coilpacks, Knock sensors ect), basically everything that the engine loom need to plug into, onto the AGU.

You might find that some of the plugs are the same.

Like i said above, my AGU engine came with AUM parts all bolted to it. MAF, colipacks, cam cover, knock sensors ect all needed to be changed on my conversion to accept the AGU wiring loom.

:thumbup:

8. dj_chilli New Member

cheers guys for your replys. i was going to swap the whole thing as mine has only done around 89,000 so i would have to swap the clocks and barrel. just one more question before i purchase the non runner, is this alot of work im i best of doing this or just buying another 1.82ov running? once again cheers guys

9. Richard Mk2

Worth it if you have the space ?

You can break the other one for spares, and you'd be suprised what you could make from silly little things.

Even the non-running engine, bits and pieces from this could be sold on like -

*Inlet
    *Cam Cover
    * Engine loom and ecu
    ect ect...

:thumbup:

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

agn is non-turbo right? you'll need to swap everything over from the old car pretty much. the main problem with swapping looms is the older cars have a 10 pin plug on the main ecu loom, the later cars are 14. you can get both types on the agu loom so double check.

the other half of the ecu loom may plug in, or it might need swapping over it depends what type of ecu it is, check the ecu plugs in comparison to the agu loom you'll see what i mean. I think this half of the loom is same regardless of n/a or turbo as it only has main ecu power feeds, carbon canister and lambda on there, just as i say check if ecu is same type. if it isnt then you might have a problem, really early agu uses slightly different pinout on the fusebox end of the plugs, so it may not swap over. plus if agn is dbw then you have all that to worry about as well

11. dj_chilli New Member

cheers guys for your help but i have not been able to get the car now. my friend has just told me to get hold of a golf 1.6 or bora and just use that as i have everything to go in it anyway. is he correct or not. once again thank you for your help

12. Richard Mk2

Probably easier buying another mk4 Gti tbh mate, and sell the other engine you have. It will save you a lot of time and effort!

Also with a 1.6 you'll have to change everything over, plus it will have 1.6 trim , interior, suspension ect, so it's a lot to change!!

13. priceygti Forum Member

Honestly just buy another working 1.8t mk4 will be easier and cheaper, as there not exactly expensive to buy nowadays.

Personally i have just completed a 1.8t conversion into a mk4 shell it wasn't the easiest or quickest thing to do and i had a complete donor car