1.8 20v turbo conversion guide

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by G60KG, Dec 9, 2009.

1. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Just wondering if anyone can point me to a thorough guide on exactly whats needed for a 20vt conversion for my 95 16v Corrado. Would be good to know exactly what parts are needed and also what options I have to choose from in the way of engine codes etc.
    I am looking into maybe doing this after the winter so need to gain as much knowledge beforhand.

2. Admin Guest

read up on the qpeng site?
    the corrado is much like the mk2?

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

In addition to what was suggested you can PM AndyRhino on here.

4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

will start reading at qpeng and work from there cheers.

5. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

ok doesnt sound too hard judging by what is written on the qpeng site. Can the custom downpipes be sourced cheaper than what is listed? wiring on post 91 Corrado is supposed to be harder anyone got any info on this? and what sort of money should I be paying for one of the more powerful engines/turbos such as one found in an S3?

6. Classy6 Forum Member

I think the description of hard is really variable depending on how you go about doing the conversion. If you buy an engine, use the old 020 box setup, use qpeng loom & downpipe the it won't be to much of a job.
    However if you go for OEM/stand a lone ECU/wiring, hydraulic clutch, 02A/02J box + shifter mechanism then if you want to rebuild the engine & improve anything else it turns into a whole new kettle of fish to be honest.

I paid about 1200 quid for my S3 AMK engine last year... Still going for roughly the same money...

Wouldn't of thought wiring on a corrado would be any different from a later mk2/corrado as it would be CE2.

7. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I am pretty much a novice although I have fitted engines into a corrado and mk2 Golf but electrics is a total unknown for me. Its just that the qpeng site states the post 91 corrado wiring is a little trickier but it doesnt state exactly what is so tricky?