1.8 8v digi to single carb help needed please

Discussion in '8-valve' started by nez, May 17, 2011.

1. NEZ

nez New Member

pretty much as the title. my engine is very strong and yet another ecu cooked first time the earth lead came loose had ecu fixed and now starter motor knakered burning ecu out again. so im gonna convert to single carb as its my daily. couple of questions please for any one who done this before i just wondered which standard manifold and carb from what model would fit ? i am aware of pump and blocking injector issues

many thanks

nez

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Digi engines can run reliably for 20+ years. It would be a lot less work to fix the problem than convert to a carb, just to lose power, burn more fuel and probably cost you more for insurance (modified car).

Carbs and manifolds from a 1.8 Mk2 golf would be best, but you'll need to rejet them to get it running properly. You'll also need a dizzy with a built in advance mechanism (Scirocco Mk2 Injection would be best).

You'll also need...

Fuel pump, lines, tank pickup/gauge sender unit, and a lobotomy

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

fix your problem as aboive. best way to do this is replace the battery cables as the old ones aint up to the job any more.

use mk3 golf 1.8-2.0 ones, better quality, thicker and much better battery terminals. all bolt right on but you may need to change the rear engine -> gearbox mounting bolt for the MK3 one so nick that too, plus need to make up a chunky bit of wire to go between the battery -ve and the stud on the battery tray behind the battery.

if you're lucky enough to find a B4 passat in the scrappy the -ve lead off that is mk3 style but a direct fit on a mk2

4. NEZ

nez New Member

after thought like you say, ill repair it when i get chance, the joys of working for yourself lol, ill get those cables or ill make some up. thanks again