1.8 8v engine not starting

Discussion in '8-valve' started by stokey17, Nov 13, 2011.

1. stokey17 Forum Member

Car was running ok, parked up went to bed, tryed to start it in the morn and no go. I found bad earths so i sorted that out, the ecu was blown so i changed that and while i was at the stage of doing some sorting out i changed the head gasket as the car overheated. After all this the car still wont go, i have spark and fuel and it doesn't want to live. I sprayed some easy start up the intake hoping that it would go and still no. Done a compression test and that turned out good. The timing looks spot on too. Little bit stuck at the mo, so some help would be good.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

does pump prime when you first turn the key, or run continuous? if it primes thats a good sign. where are you checkign for a spark? have you made sure its getting to all 4 plugs? maybe the cap, arm or leads are bad. clean up the plugs too, if its flooded it might be hard to start,plus they can just get gunked up during the head gasket swap

3. stokey17 Forum Member

fuel pump primes, good spark at all four plugs. New cap, arm and plugs, leads not very old. Spark side looks good. Going to make sure the flywheel mark is in time with the rest of the timing marks i think. Thanks for the input mate.

4. Marty's Dub Forum Member

Is the firing order ok?

5. stokey17 Forum Member

Checked timing again, firing order spot on. The knock sensor looks broke. Tested it for continuity and found zilch, so the knock sensor wants replacing but i don't think the knock sensor would stop it from starting. Went through the test procedures for the hall sender, tci-u unit, coil and wiring harness and these look good.

6. rubjonny

have you got fuel pump live at the fuel rail? you should have some earths to the side of the head too make sure those are ok. can you smell fuel in the bores?

7. stokey17 Forum Member

Put new connections on the earths on the side of the head. I was going to pull the fuel rail out and check all the injectors are spraying correctly. But there is some fuel in the bores on 2,3 and 4 but number 1 looks a little on the dry side. Just waiting for my new ECU as I lent my mates to test.

8. stokey17 Forum Member

Fitted the new ecu and knock sensor. It still wont go, but tonight it fired after i turned on the ignition to prime and then off took the plug for the harness for the injectors and cranked it and it fired. Then i took out the plugs and had a look in the bores. Cranked it over with the plugs out to get all the fuel out. Then i repeated the process again and it started and idled with the injectors unplugged but died after i revved it. So i tryed this again and it wont run now it just fires ?? Any one have any ideas ?

9. retrowhore Forum Member

Checked for loose or perished vacuum pipes?

10. rubjonny

i think rail test is next on the list, you say it idled with the rail unplugged how long for? if it was burning off the fuel in the bores i wouldnt expect it to idle for very long see. im thinking fuel pressure too high or injectors stuck

11. stokey17 Forum Member

No mate its defo fuel problem now. All the vac pipes are good. It roughly idled for about 20 seconds. I tried unplugging the injectors and putting a little fuel in the pots but it didnt fire. Yeah could be pressure reg stuck or injectors but how likely all four ? Im also wondering if the MAF or IAT is influencing the ecu and over fueling.

12. rubjonny

afm is a possibility aye, mk3 2e code one will work as will the isv

13. stokey17 Forum Member

Pulled out the rail with the injectors in and cranked it, and the injectors are spraying nicely. I dont have a vacuum to put on the pressure reg to so if it moves the diaphragm. Hoping to borrow an MAF to try and pressure reg.

14. stokey17 Forum Member

Put a new rail, pressure reg and injectors on and no go. Tested the MAF and IAT and according to the haynes manual the resistance was correct so that looks ok.

15. rubjonny

have you double checked the dizzy timing as it can spin free when the head is off, you want it pointed at the notch in the edge of the dizzy when the cam and crank are at tdc. then fit lead #1 where the rotor arm is pointing

16. stokey17 Forum Member

Yeah i double checked that mate, its all good. I also checked the flywheel side just to make sure.

17. stokey17 Forum Member

Got the golf sorted now after a big ball ache ! It was completely underfuelling ! I managed to get it going with some petrol out of a dr pepper bottle with a spray top on. I sprayed it down the intake which is strange because if I take off the induction pipe then it wont run. But for some odd reason it does now. But I suppose its done good as once i stripped it then i found a few bits in need of replacement. I just need tax now !