1.8 8v golf 2 kjetronic gti, high idle when hot

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by Shaniel Behari, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Shaniel Behari New Member

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my car idling at about 1500 - 1800rpm when hot, also it doesn't start when hot.It starts okay when cold (i do have to keep the accelerator in) and it idles between 900 and 1000rpm, i have checked all the hoses on the intake and also cleaned out the idle valve the bolts onto the intake. the only other thing that i think it could be is the WUR? could that be dead? PLEASE HELP as i really do not want to change k-jet to mp9 or any other efi system...

2. Shaniel Behari New Member

The problem with the hot start was leaking injectors flooding the motor. I added some injector cleaner to the fuel and that seems to have cured the problem, I have adjusted the idle screw to lower the idle, now it struggles to idle when cold and hunts. I am going to change the ISV tonight as i do have another intake manifold at home with the ISV attached, if that doesn't help to sort out the hunting then I am quite sure it'll mean changing the warm up regulator.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

check the AAV gets 12v when the engine is running while you're under there :)

4. Shaniel Behari New Member

rubjonny now you got me stumped, I assume that stands for auxillary air valve? what does it look like? I googled a pic now and it looks the same as what I am referring to as the ISV

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  5. rubjonny

yes sorry just spotted you mentioned isv, technically its not called an ISV its AAV on the kjet 8v but it does the same job :)

6. Shaniel Behari New Member

OH OKAY... thanks, I learnt something new there, I don't have a volt meter, usually just rely on the old globe with two wires attached would that test be fine? if the globe lights up its fine and if not we have a problem... does GSF export spares? I am really struggling to get spares for this car in South Africa from agents as well as the after market dealer Goldwagen. I know it's going to cost a bit more but as mentioned above I am dead keen on keep the kjet...

7. Marty's Dub Forum Member

Have you scouted any scrappies? Certain parts will become harder to find as time moves onhowever every now and then there's a luck. Have a look at the unit to see if there's a part number drop it into google and see what crops up. Is the part number in question 026 133 453 by any chance?

8. Shaniel Behari New Member

no, i do have another 2nd hand AAV/ISV, as well as a complete intake manifold. The warm up regulator for instance part # 043 814 0118 can't get that anywhere, there are pipes that i cannot get. I would like to replace parts with new parts as far as possible.

9. rubjonny

yeah test light is fine, red/white is live when fuel pump running brown should be earth :)

10. Shaniel Behari New Member

i may have the wires on the wrong way round as i was fumbling with that yesterday, which one goes at the top and which at the bottom?

11. rubjonny

the 2 wires to the aav? makes no odds what way round as its just a heater inside :)

12. Shaniel Behari New Member

i may have the wires on the wrong way round as i was fumbling with that yesterday, which one goes at the top and which at the bottom? the plug end of the aav when standing in front of the car facing the bonnet points toward the passenger side....

13. Shaniel Behari New Member

okay lekker... I'll swop the aav's out tonight and see

14. Shaniel Behari New Member

guys the car was running beautifully after changing the AAV but now the fuel pump keeps popping its fuse [:x] if the two wires on the aav touch could that blow the fuel pump fuse? this is driving me nuts

15. Marty's Dub Forum Member

Definately a question for 'Sparks Guru' RJ I'd say! I would disconnect and run it and see if the fuse still popped. If if does I'd rule the AAV out. If not, replug the AAV in and see if it does.

16. rubjonny

yep the aav and wur both run from the fuel pump fuse so if either of those short out it'll pop it :)

17. Shaniel Behari New Member

it happened a day or two ago as well, the earth and the live wire for the AAV touched when I started the car and popped the fuse, the only thing that makes sense to me is that the fuel pump and AAV might share the earth and when making contact with the live wire it shorts. What I have done is that I have used insulation tape and insulated the earth right over the clip and that seem to have cut out the problem

18. Shaniel Behari New Member

thanks rubjonny i think that the thread needs to be changed to my kjet issues as we have gone from hot start issues right through to electrical faults now, i am learning so damn much. this forum is great:)