1.8 8v KJet...

Discussion in '8-valve' started by jonnybinthemix, Jun 28, 2006.

1. jonnybinthemix New Member

Hi guys,

I have a mk2 Golf GTI, it started life as a 1.8 8v K-Jet engine.

Since then, its been bored to 1.9, Flowed Head, Kent high lift cams, lightened fly etc...

Thing is, i am at 160bhp, but i feel the need for more!! I have been looking around for another engine, but its a shame to start all over again just to squeeze a few more bhp. The only thing i havent done is added a 4 branch, the only reason i dident is because fitting it was going to be a real pain in the ****, as i dont think it fits without dropping the engine.

Does anyone have any ideas of more power, or can i get more than 160 from my existing kit?

Thanks

Jon

2. lowandloud Forum Member

my golf was kjet 2 got it converted to digifant

ngine:- C&R 1.9 fully balanced short block 8v gti (more HP)
    TSR Pack 'A' gasflowed head (more HP)
    TSR 272 cam (more HP)
    TSR 4 into 1 manifold with flexy joint (more HP)
    Scorpion full system (more HP)
    Prima power Superchip (more HP)
    Cotten and green induction (more HP)
    Over sized valves (more HP I think ya get the picture)
    Uprated tsr gear linkage system
    Custom short shift system
    Vernier camshaft pulley (possible more HP)

i am at the same point as you to i think, i have been told that unless i 20v my mk 2 which i dont really want to the nos is the next best bhp mod i could do i am not sure yet you could try it and tell me how good it is lol.

3. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

4. jonnybinthemix New Member

Hi guys

thanks for the replies....

I have been looking round, and have been offered a 2.0 16v engine, box, ecu + loom for about 200.

Thinking of selling the 8v and starting again with a 2l 16v

any thoughts on this...

thanks

jon

5. zeff New Member

My thoughts

My thoughts are: Sell me your engine to fit into my Caddy!!!

Give you 50 for it. LOL!!!

6. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Whats your current full spec ?

A manifold should gain you around 5hp over a stock cast manifold. Is the 160hp dyno proven in some way or an estimate of your current spec ? 160hp is around max your going to see with a road usable 8v on k-jet.

7. mexicorich Forum Member

Yes, if the only way is up then 2 litre 16V

8. jonnybinthemix New Member

hi guys,

It has been on the dyno and tuned and 160 bhp is the official reading.

Current specs are

Stage 3 cross flowed head with I42 / E36 large Valves
    Kent High Lift Cam with Vernier pully
    bored + balanced block
    light weight fly
    Loads more little bits!! (couldent be arsed to list everything!!)

I will do a conversion one day, but i have spent so much time and money on this engine it would break my heart to get rid of it!!

I have been thinking about dry sump....?? what are your thoughts on this? Not sure if i would get any actualy bhp increase but it would certainly rev nicer :)

Another couple of things that have been on my mind are Throttle Bodies??

Or maybe a 8v Turbo Conversion (however i have not been impressed by some of the 8V turbo mods with regards to power!)

Any thoughts are welcome guys...

thanks

Jon

9. chrismc Forum Junkie

Dyno dynamics RR, or a "quote me happy" local place??

x-flowed head??? Ie intake on the front exhaust on the rear?, or do you mean a standard mk2 stage 3 head (42/35ish)

A true 160BHP is a very top spec 8v figure for road use...you won't go any further than that! Your only options really are to go for a hotter cam & rev it harder, but lose road friendliness, or to go for some Jenvey bodies on a x-flow (mk4 2L/ new beetle) head. This has been done before by one of the guys on here on a 2L bottom end, but he only got 170BHP/145lbs/ft even on DTA management (Stealth figures also)

I got to 155BHP with my 2L 8v (stealth figures) & then bit the bullet & went for my current car;)

Headwork/breathing is where the gains are at when you reach your stage...

10. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

As above... :thumbup:

Power at the wheels quoted ? at what rpm ?

Do you know what Kent cam you have i.e duration & lift as opposed to fast road or rally ?

Throttle body's will indeed give you a power increase (as will carbs !) and will allow you use a more radical cam over what you have (depending WHAT you have) and still retain some drivability (and even more power), though at a price (figure around 1500 quid)

Though for a saner option !... how about a 2ltr crank to go with yr 1900 bore (fatter power curve), mapped ignition (ignition timing correct everywhere, sharper throttle responce and MAYBE a top end power increase, depending on how yr current ignition is set up) and that tubular manifold that you dont currently have (mid to top end power incease and possibly an extended power band, depending on if your current cast manifold has been gas flowed or not).

11. jonnybinthemix New Member

hi and thanks again for all the responce...

As im sure you have all figured out, i am by no means a mechanic! lol

I originally built it as a track car for fun days etc, and then did some racing for fun.

All the work on the engine was carried out by Grant Motorsport in Bristol, and was set up on his RR. I believe he is a very well known VW Motorsport mechanic.

He has also told me that to increase the power any more will drain the reliability and be very costly. He has advised that i should go for a VR6 conversion as he has in his mk3, but as previously stated, i am reluctant to get a new engine because of the cost of this one!!

Jon

12. chrismc Forum Junkie

Mr Woodhatch....mmm[:[]

He isnt a million miles from me & his reputation is far from glowing...

Wouldnt be surprised if his power figure was a tad optimistic;)

13. mexicorich Forum Member

Even though you have spent a lot on your current engine, you need to recognise that you will spend heaps more to get any significant further power increase - so spend it on a 2 litre 16V

14. jonnybinthemix New Member

You know Grant?

Why do you say his reputation is far from glowing? I am not the only person who speaks very highly of him, he seems to be very well known in the VW world.

15. chrismc Forum Junkie

Yes i know of him....

Could well be worth you asking about GMS in the "Quality Retailers/Suppliers" section;) but i know of several unsatisfied customers being reasonably local...

You may get a more widely spread opinion if you post up there though:)

I know he takes an age to get peoples cars done, & went a fair while with no telephone landline at his premises[8(] . Il let others inform you of personal experiences...

16. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Not knocking what you have but it would be good to see/know the power at the wheels as the flywheel power could be a touch optimistic, so you may indeed be able to improve on it.

There's no reason for any of the suggestions above to reduce reliability, in fact you can turn a fair bit more rpm than i would imagine you are currently using and still not have any problems if the work is carried out correctly, certainly while its kept within the realms of road drivability, even a competition engine does'nt have to be unreliable. cost will certainly increase though, thats the law of diminishing returns.

17. jonnybinthemix New Member

thanks for replies guys,,,

I have a dyno sheet for the stats as it is..

However maybe i should go back to grant and ask him to run it again and see what the score is.

I do however think that the best idea is for me to pick up a 2.0 16v engine and work on it in the mean time. Can anyone advise me of the best place to get the engine? and which particular engine to look out for.

Also, in your opinion, can a 2.0 16v engine (with work carried out obviously) perform better than a G60 engine?

Thanks

Jon