1.8 8v turbo

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by 82erGTI, Nov 12, 2006.

1. 82erGTI Forum Member

I'm going to have to "clock" the turbo...
    Turning the compressor side won't be a problem, but the bolts on the turbine are something else [:s] This doesn't necessariliy have to be moved, it just would be much better if i could mount the turbo "upside down", bringing the compressor to the k-jet and intake side... but of course then i have to rotate the central housing so the oil feed is on top and the return is pointing downwards...

So anyone ever "clocked" a turbo ? experiences ? tips, advice ?

Thanks ;)

Edit: just noticed i did not mention the change in plans... i will be doing this little project with a G60 block i got a few days ago (oil squirters, sodium filled exhaust valves and of course low compression pistons should make for a MUCH more appropriate base)...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  2. g60gerry Paid Member Paid Member

No worries , OK about the turbo rotation you can rotate the turbo to suit your application, just make sure you leave enough room to fit your boost hose as it can be quite tight round the back of and 8v in a mk1. I think i may still have some pic of the k-jet set i had when it made 160bhp. If i do find them i will post them , never know may give you and idea.

3. 82erGTI Forum Member

Thank you, that would be great...

Just one more thing i might just as well ask your opinion on: can i simply put a mk1 gti motormount onto the cambelt-side of the g60 block instead of the plate that's there ? (because G60 blocks have a water passage there)
    And maybe put a gasket in between... ?

4. 82erGTI Forum Member

Ok, i just checked and this is not possible: the hole in the block is bigger than the area of the mk1 motormount that touches... I'll have to find another solution...
    What's the usual way to mount a g60 block in a mk1 ?
    I could put the motormount on top of the plate that's there to shut off the water passage in the block, but then the hole engine goes +2mm further from the mount [:s] ...
    I guess the best solution would be to weld a new mount, with a plate as big as the G60 one, so the hole is completely closed off...
    Any ideas ?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  5. g60gerry Paid Member Paid Member

Hi, i am still looking for those pic ... i am sure they will pop up soon , but for the engine mount situation i just used the standard 1.8. engine with G60 pistons because i had the same issue with the side engine mount. The g60 piston route worked well with no problems..... the last time i checked this way will handle upto 220 bhp, you have to be carefull though as the standard 1.8 has not been equiped with oil jets that squirt the bottom of the pistons for extra cooling so it can run hot , i did use an external oil cooler and it did keep the oil in right temp's.

6. mexicorich Forum Member

Does anyone recall the original Audi 80 GTE Turbo of the 70's?
    A friend had one years ago. Went like stink when on boost but sadly caught fire from a fuel injection leak

7. 82erGTI Forum Member

I would however like to use the G60 block (because of the oil squirters) eventhough i wont be aiming quite as high as 220hp...
    But it looks like that mount wont be a problem, I heard from people that have a mk1 g60 that use a diesel mount on top of the plate an then put the engine a little to one side (it's only like 2mm)...
    And if it turns out to be a lot less then ideal, there's still someone that can make me a mount using the original blanking plate...

Audi 80 GTE Turbo ? Never knew that existed [:s]
    That would have to be very similar engine to what i'm attempting...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2006