1.8 carb cylinder head on 1.6 carb engine?

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Procarmove, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Procarmove New Member

Hi everyone.
    I have a 1988 1.6 golf petrol 8v on standard carb. With a spark plug stuck in the head by previous owner with Chem metal or some crap.
    I have a complete 1.8 engine sat on a pallet.

Can I fit the 1.8 head straight on the 1.6 engine - straight swap? Or shall I just fit the complete 1.8 lump?
    Many thanks in advance

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It depends on what 1.6 you have as you get two types
    One uses the same head as the 1.8 the other uses a different head that is flat no chamber you can easily tell by where the water outlet is on the head to what one you have
    If you have a engine code that would help

3. Procarmove New Member

Thank you very much for your response it's greatly appreciated. Sounds like I'm in a 50/50 position then. I have the golf and spare engine in front of me now but struggling to find engine numbers. Do you think with both codes then I'd know for sure if they would fit? Might wait until day light tomorrow to see better unless you could point me in the right direction

4. Procarmove New Member

Okay so as I'm looking for the engine number or code which I presume is 3 letters? I've stumbled across a ten digit number on the front level with cylinder 4. This number is identical on both cylinder heads - without sounding stupid is that not a green light to put 1.8 head on 1.6 engine?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if its a mk1/2 1.6 carb engine yes it will swap, the 1.6 with flat head is the MK1 GTI lump which is a totally different kettle o fish. the carb version of it is usually 1.5l. There are flat head 1.6 carbs I think on some old passats and such, but they are quite rare

or to put it another way if the coolant flange on the head is between cylinders 3 and 4, then the answer is yes :thumbup:

6. Procarmove New Member

Thank you for the information buddy.
    I think the head swap makes more sense than a complete engine change. I've just ordered a cam belt kit and head gasket kit ready for the weekend. It's a customers car with new clutch 2k ago and she not looking for power just reliability which she had until attempting changing her own plugs. Three garages wrote it off in labour and tried to buy from her. I had great pleasure in collecting on my dolley telling the garage she might not see you but I f__cking do, clear as day. There little faces sank as I drove away lol. Mk2 3door 95% immaculate.
    Thanks again, will repost results after weekend ?????

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

nice work :)

8. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

could be worth helicoilling the plug hole I've done it in situ a few times bit tricky but can be done