1,8 Dx On K-jet Is It Pos To Fit Non Managed Turbo ?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by MR D, Aug 13, 2008.

1. MR D Forum Member

Been thinking about this and not sure if it`s possible ?
    I have an astra van with a non managed turbo,mechanic friend showed me how to up the boost a bit,couple of turns of a screw :) .And it flies now !
    But have been thinking if it would be possible to fit a non managed turbo to my scirocco gtx ?
    I assume i would need manifold to be made custom ? is this just a stupid thought would i be better just getting a 1.8 t lump ?

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

you will need to lower the compression too, new pistons or spacer plate.

3. MR D Forum Member

Yep was thinking of the spacer plate option :) ,so it`s doable .Want to be getting some head work done first i think.Will prob be in for it`s mot this sat,then r/road sesh 2 weeks after that :) as need to book 2 weeks in advance.What about using the manifolds from audi ? could they be chopped up and re welded to fit the rocco ?

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

I think early Saab Turbos were Kjet too.

The Audi manifolds are fairly rare I think, as they tend to warp with the heat from the 5 cylinder engine, but I think Brookster is using one on his car... 16v though.

Maybe you should talk to Bogg Bros or someone about modding a 1.8 standard manifold?

5. MR D Forum Member

Ah yes they are a 5 cylinder forgot about that dohh ! really not sure how it would work to be honest ?
    The turbo takes it`s drive from the exhaust manifold, then i assume the output could be joined into the intake manifold somehow , is that right.
    Would also need a big intercooler Mercedes sprinter seems popular

6. Tomo IOW Forum Member

turbos , take the used exhaust gas, from the manifold, plus the cold air from the air filter, into an intercooler that lowers the air temp then sucked into the throttle body, where it then needs the correct amount of fuel and spark , { really need , efi, re-mapped ecu }

7. MR D Forum Member

Yeah i got that bit :) would it not try to blow the forced air back through the metering head though,or would the induction vac be enough to suck it into the engine.
    Would it be more straight forward to fit a charger ? i will be doing this on a budget sort of and will collect the bits as and wwhen i have the funds ,turbo bits are going to be more freely available at scrappers than chargers though [:^(]

8. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

the 10v audi quattros used the kjet system,

dont bother with head work if your going to turbo it, the gains arent as good as on a NA engine.

using the kjet system is simple enough.

The air comes thro the metering into the turbo, gets pressurised and forced thro the intercooler into the inlet manifold and swallowed by the engine!

the five cylinder manifolds are easy enough to get hold of but as mike say the crack between 3 & 4 which means there a nackered.

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

There's a huge thread on the Vortex about turboing 8vs using the TD manifold turned upside down...

10. MR D Forum Member

Cheers for that ! bloke on the rocco register mentioned about a gtd manifold,will look into it :)