1.8 or 2.0 for 16V G60?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Trev16v, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I've now sent off some money to JRC to get myself a set of custom forged JE pistons for my 16V G60 project. These pistons are, of course, to reduce the compression ratio. They will also be oversized to fit into the block which will be bored out to its maximum (sensible) capacity.

My intention so far has been to use a KR block, bored out to 83mm, which gives 1870cc. The chap at JRC reckoned that 83mm is the maximum 'safe' amount that a KR block should be bored out to, although it could technically go further (any comments on that point would be welcome).

I did wonder though if I should make the effort to find a 2L block instead, and specify some pistons to make myself a 2.1L or something. But, finding a 2L block involves a lot of extra expense and effort, and the other half is demanding a new kitchen! :lol:

Can anyone think of pros and cons of going for either 9A or KR? Advantage of a KR being that I have one and I guess that 1.9 is going to be pretty damn good. Also, maybe the KR would be nicer for this application because it is more 'revvy'?

Ta, Trev

2. stealthwagon Forum Member

what are you paying for those pistons if you dont mind me asking?
    thanks

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

2l would be better off boost, you don`t want to be reving past 7k really as the charger will suffer so that knocks one of the + points, on the other hand some people say the 2l is too much for the g-lader to handle? (don`t belive it personally with a 68mm pulley).

Nice to see stealthwagon posting, me and Trev maybe able to get a bit closer to your figures at the next Stealth meet [:D]

4. stealthwagon Forum Member

bring it on keith [:D] it better be good as i am on the verge of opening that gap even more ;)

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Hmmm, maybe not then :lol:

6. Trev16v

Hehe, I am certainly not expecting to get even close to what that 20VT beast puts out. In fact, if it even runs and gets me as far as Stealth then that is a bonus for me:lol:

I think that I am definitely going for the 1.9L route now using a KR block. Well, actually, it is definite - because I think that JRC have actually ordered the pistons from JE now.

stealthwagon - I'm getting the pistons from JRC in the US and they are costing 565 dollars, plus 100 dollars for shipping. I'm getting some ARP rod and head bolts from them also. The pistons I'm getting are made by JE, and will be 83mm, and I have chosen a CR of 8.5:1. The pistons work out at pretty good value with the current exchange rate.

Oh, also stealthwagon - what kind of intercooler do you have on your car?
    :)

7. stealthwagon Forum Member

sounds good trev,thanks for the info,btw is that $565 including the head bolts?or just the pistons.
    regards the intercooler,it is made by AH fabrications and was purchased thrugh demon tweeks,its a universal fit and was the best option for where i wanted to mount it.it has proved to work very efficiently with my setup and was a reasonable price to.if you need any dimensions let me know.

8. Trev16v

It is 565USD just for the pistons. Then shipping on top. The rod bolts are costing me a further 145USD, and then more again for the head bolts (can't remember how much they are). I don't know if you have ever dealt with JRC, but if you give Rodney there a call, he is an extremely talkative and helpful guy. Plus he seems to have a good reputation.

Are you intending to get some new custom pistons mate?

Oh yes, I would be interested to know more about your intercooler. Would you have any more pictures of it? The intercooler is a piece of the puzzle that I have not thought about much yet, and I would very much appreciate recommendations (as I guess Keith would too):)

9. stealthwagon Forum Member

yes i have sourced a brand new unwanted set already in the country and i am supposed to be getting them this weekend but after your info i may have to re-negociate the price with the bloke as i am about to pay 380 for them but after converting your quoted price inc shipping it only works out at 355.00 and he to purchased from JRC.tbh i thought it was a good deal because the last time i looked into buying these was last year and i was told i'd be looking at 700 a set so it went on the back burner.
    like yourself i was in a dilemma about going 2.0 or staying 1.8 as i already have a 9a bottom end sat in my garage so no hassles finding one but i'm going to talk to vince at stealth first before i commit.the one plus about this piston deal is that the bloke badly wants a 9a so if i dont use it i will use it as part of the deal for the right price,failing that i'll just order from JRC and sell the 9a :)
    i'll see what other pics i have of the ic

10. Trev16v

Yes, I know the pistons you are referring too as I was going to buy them as well, until I realised that I could just order whatever spec pistons from JE myself for the same money.

I would consider offering some cash for a 9A but I know they are pricey so I think I'd best plump for the KR.

11. davey j Forum Member

Does the 9A block have under piston cooling galleries like the KR and G60 blocks?

12. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

It's probably a bit late now, but have you Spoken to Alex who runs the Ace Cafe meet (aposegil on here)? I think he's running a 2.0 16vG60, might be able to give some insight...

13. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Yes

14. Trev16v

Aha - I've spoken to Alex in the past I think, because he's built a 2.1 16V G60 in his Corrado, aye?

Yeah I think it is too late now to consider getting pistons for a 2L, but to be honest I think I'm going to be more than chuffed with the 1.9 routine :)

15. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

That's the one. I'd be interested to see what he thinks about the G60 running out of puff on a 2.0/2.1 ;)

TBH I think displacement is far less of an issue on a charged engine than N/A. It's going to be a torque monster no matter how big it is, and compared to mods like pulley sizes etc I wouldn't have thought that extra 0.1L is going to be critical.

16. prof Forum Addict

are KR and 9a pistons very similar anyway, would these 83mm ones still work in a 9a, or is the pin height different due to the longer stroke,

alex is using 83mm pistons in his 9a IIRC or was when it was still NA

17. Unknown Forum Junkie

OK please correct me if I'm wrong but. I'd heard that the 2E block is very similar, if not identical (aside from the pistons) to the ABF, and as far as I recall from building one up, it had oil squirters to the pistons. Therefore could you not get a cheap 2E and get pistons to fit that (get it bored to cure the wear of course) and give you the righ C/R?

Remembered where I'd read it...
    Clikety Click
    Edited by: Unknown

18. Trev16v

When I spoke to Rodney at JRC, he told me that if I order my custom pistons to fit a KR, then I CANNOT simply use them in a 9A instead should I wish to. Yes they will fit, but to fit pistons ordered for a KR into a 9A, you have to do some other stuff as well. I'm not sure what because I didn't take everything in that Rodney said...

I am assuming that the reason is due to what you just said there mate - i.e. possibly something to do with the pin height or something. I think it's different between the 9A and the KR.

19. Trev16v

The US guys are really into this. Their equivalent of the 2E is the ABA I think. There is a massive thread about using a 2E with a 16V head on the Vortex forum. It's not a straight simple swap - it involves mixing and matching bits from both platforms (intermediate shafts, blah blah). Bit too much of a headache for me so I just took the easy route with some custom pistons. :)

20. KeithMac Forum Junkie

From what I`ve read the 9A must have a different pin height as the stroke is longer but the height of the engine is the same as the KR, ABF blocks are taller, maybe KR pistons would work in an ABF? could be talking total bollox mind :lol:

I`ve got an S2 intercooler for mine, quite big and I`ll have to work out if it`ll fit at all..