1.8T ABS Removal/Upgrade Options

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Craigus433, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Craigus433 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any input/experience on some of the ABS systems out there.

Firstly I have a Corrado with a 1.8T engine and have the mk3 16v brakes and discs all around. The reluctor rings have warped on the front and need changing so I currently have no ABS.

I plan to either remove or upgrade and these are the options.

Apparently some Corrados have EDL although haven't checked my part number, although it likely has as it's a late model. So just replace the rings and sensors all around. 3 channel system.

I have the teves 20 ABS system from a 16v mk3 spare and was considering using this to upgrade. As I believe this also has EDL too. Also better biasing for braking I would expect? Front to rear etc. Simpler system removing the odd corrado servo switch.

As I used the Me7.5 ECU I believe I could use the newer MK1 Cupra R ABS and communicate with the CanBus and this will have traction control. Also possibly ESP? Limiting the power applied to give better traction? But I'm unable to find much on these ABS units specifically a wiring diagram such as do these units require a steering shaft angle sensors for the esp. Or other additional items.

If it was just a braking choice I would probably just use the mk2 golf setup. The problem is I've been in a Cupra R and it was able to put the power down where as mine is just spinning the wheels. Well more specifically the left wheel?

I don't particularly drive the car hard at all but if you do get enthusiastic hold the gear and use about 3/4 throttle it's just wheelspin, noise and smoke. Which doesn't really appeal to me. I'd much prefer it to be consistent usable power.

I'm sure people will advise getting a Diff fitted which I probably will do. It's just this is happening either way and any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm leaning towards the Cupra R / 1.8t Equivalent ABS option.

Regards, Craig

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017