1.8T AGU Forged rebuild

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by boostedgolf, Jan 26, 2012.

1. boostedgolf Forum Member

Hello All,

Thinking of taking my AGU to a further level looking for 300- 350 safe bhp without running high boost levels.

Note take into account im learning as i go & will have professional people doing this but im intrested to hear from you people what forged items should i get & from which companies?

eg; i have been sugested to go for supertech valves

etc..

just need to see what people used & their feedback

2. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Crank is forged from factory so it does not need doing

Pistons are not forged but are good enough for your power level and more, however BAM pistons are forged if you wish to find some

Rods are weak so they need doing, Integrated Enginering rods are very good quality and cheap

And yes valves are recomended to be done, again Integrated Engineering valve kit is very good or as you say Supertech or Ferrea, and also do valve springs if you want raised rev limit

Cams are good enough for your figures and more

Standard head bolts are good enough

3. AjVR Forum Member

Im surprised people change valves I thought they had inconel exhaust valves as standard.

4. Jonrandom Forum Member

I always thought that the agu had mahle forged pistons?

5. boostedgolf Forum Member

Thanks for the help sambo, really happy to hear from somone like you after ive been seing what ur up to with your s3 :)

I think il go for the whole lot rods, pistons, valve train, a kinetic exhaust manifold ( or suggest something better?) and a Precision Turbo equivalant to a GT28rs..

My engine was set in the garage for almost 2 years after being taken out of an A3 at 117k miles, started first time last november when i droped it in a mk3 golf, was smoking a lot of condesation at first but after i got it mot'd i gave her a good drive & all smoke stoped. But since last week every now & then its smoking after 600km since start up & oil level droped with about 1L.

changed oil from silkolene to motul, checked IC pipes all clean, intake manifold clean, removed breather pipe from intake no different & no smoke from breather even after a 2hr drive. Removed ic pipe from trothle body & no valve noises coming from the intake, last things to do are a comp. test, take out the exhaust manifold & check for oil residuce & replace the turbo to be sure its not leaking ftom hot side...

this is the reason of this thread before i decide to take the lump out & put the $$$ in the money pit for a complete rebuild.

6. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I was always told it's BAM and AMK I think, 225 engines, which had forged pistons[:s]

7. HidRo Forum Member

I believe AGU pistons (and not sure if not all 1.8T pistons) are forged.
    Basically, an engine with rods, will take more than 500hp.

8. lewp91 Forum Member

i was unde the impression that the AGU and AEB(us) were not forged pistons and the rods in the APX and BAM 225s were smaller wrist pin yet forged... so watch out there are 2 different sized wrist pins, AGU being the larger of the 2

9. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

All pistons are of great quality wether forged or cast and can take a lot of stick but there are deffo differences between engine codes, would be great to find out exactly which engine code had what parts fitted forged or cast

10. Bundles Forum Junkie

Pretty sure AGU has forged mahle pistons as standard which are good for rediculous power.

11. lewp91 Forum Member

I wish the faq had info regards to pistons and rods too....It just crank

12. danster Forum Addict

If you can find any good info on this subject then we can add it to the FAQs. :thumbup:

Gudgeon pin sizes also vary from 19 to 20mm on some engines iirc.

13. lewp91 Forum Member

i saw a fair bit on the Vortex, how reliable the info is however idk, due to it being US engines..

14. Bundles Forum Junkie

Everything i've ever read on AGU pistons says they are forged.

I wonder if Brian G had the pistons out of the AGU block he chopped up, maybe he'd know for sure?