1.8T Anniversary

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Baldyman1975, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Baldyman1975 New Member

Hi, I am a new member to the site after recently purchashing a 52 plate VW Golf MK4 1.8T Anniversary. The car has covered 126k (low for age of car) and it's been look after over the years as I have got lots of paperwork/service history with it, however, although within this paperwork I can see it's had two cambelt/waterpump changes, the last one was around 91k in 2012.
    Do I need to get it changed? I appreciate that just because the car is running well doesn't mean it won't need changing. I have been advised by a friend to check the belt for wear etc, but I doubt that will really give me any indication as to how much longer it will last for so I think I should maybe just get it changed. I just need to know how much a garage would charge roughly for this work to be carried out??
    I do have a 3mth warranty with the car, but the warranty company (Warrantywise) have said because it hasn't been done within VW's recomendations (4yrs or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first) they won't cover it!
    Any help/advice would greatly be appreciated.
    Thanks, Tony!

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I would replace it, along with a new water pump to give a piece of mind.
    When these belts break it does cause a lot of carnage!

3. Baldyman1975 New Member

Hi, thanks for the advice. Do you have any idea how much this will cost to do it?

Thanks

4. K7aus

K7aus Paid Member Paid Member

Cambelt kit inc water pump from 125 at ECP or GSF i would imagine with usual 25-45% discount

Try http://www.repairanycar.com/

For a quote on repairs in your area

Or about circa 200 for labour

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  5. Baldyman1975 New Member

Thanks for the info, however, I wouldn't get discount as I've never purchased from these companies before??

I will check the link you sent also.

6. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

GSF have a minimum 40% discount code virtually every weekend - just sign up for their emails. But that's only really useful if you're going to do it yourself.

If you need a garage to do it, try these guys - https://www.awesomegti.com/timing-belt-cambelt/

7. Baldyman1975 New Member

Ok, thanks, although I have heard Awesome are really overpriced, I'll check though.