1.8T cambelt

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by jshep73, Oct 2, 2020.

1. jshep73 Forum Member

Hello all

A little advise please. I have code 17748 on my Mk2 1.8T AUM engine. Cambelt incorrectly installed.

Car runs great btw.

Now this is my fault as I changed the belt/tensioner/pulley before installing the engine. From the information I can find online the belt is a tooth out. It has not jumped for sure.

So I have the cambelt off. The cam sprocket does not seem to have a TDC mark (just a tooth with tipex on). Fair enough, but surely it should have a proper mark?! Doesn't appear to be one under the tipex.

I have a lightened flywheel and I can not find a TDC mark at all. Also can not get hold of the company that lightened it - Is it possible the TDC mark was shaved away? I guess it doesn't matter anyway, as long as the crank pulley mark lines up with the mark on the cover.

After watching a few youtube videos of people doing a 1.8T cambelt change, everyone seems to struggle to get the belt on. Mine goes on pretty easily with the pulley bolted on?!?! Definately the correct belt, I still have the old one and it is 150 tooth aswell. I have seen online that from cam TDC to the 'notch' on the crank should be 68 teeth, seems too slack to me. Once tensioner is installed the belt is tighter but from cam pulley - crank via waterpump seems toooo slack.

What do I do - just start it up and hope for the best? Like I said, car was running great before I took cambelt off.

Many thanks

J