1.8t mk1 master cylinders question

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by milesmk2, Mar 27, 2014.

1. milesmk2 Forum Member

Going to be helping a friend with a 1.8t conversion into his mk1 soon and theres only really one stumbling block we know and it is what do we do about pedal box, brake master and clutch master onto the bulkhead.
    We've got an entire Bora 1.8t as a donor car so most parts are available to us in that respect. Can you use the mk4 pedal box in a mk1?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

no its very different, however someone over on the mk1 facebook page (neil mcphearson) mounted the clutch master to his bulkhead and it didnt look too hard to do at all. with the mk4 pedal box im sure you can chop it up and use it to convert the mk1 :)

with the accelerator pedal if you have dbw its a flat mounted unit so its dead easy to knock up a bit of angle plate to bolt it up.

there are very expensive pedal box assemblies you can buy bu there is no need really

3. solaris

solaris Forum Member

You could drill the pedal box and mount the clutch MC to the pedal box. (This is the method I went on my MK2) That way its out of the engine bay and it doesn't need to be butchered, however I'm not too sure about the MK1 in terms of space around that area.