1.8T - QPEng - Misfiring on boost

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by LazyLunatic, Nov 9, 2010.

1. LazyLunatic Forum Member

Ok, so the problem is I have misfire when I hit around 1bar of boost. I have just fitted new coilpacks and BKR7E plugs, didn't check spacing yet as I can't find my feeler gauge :(

So I'm stuck now as to what it could be. Bear in mind it runs fine at a lower boost setting (0.2/0.3bar) and idles fine too.

I have gone over the bay and double-checked for any split hoses, etc. All good there. Boost gauge is reading correct on idle (i think lol) like -0.7 bar and is boosting too around 1.2 bard. So I'm just guessing here, but I don't think there is a boost leak and that a leak is the causing the misfire.

I do remember now it started to appear when I used octane booster with 99 octane fuel. Now I'm thinking could it be the O2 sensor? But surely that would cause more running issues, regardless of what it is boosting at?

So it runs fine with the boost turned down and with the boost up its fine just doesn't like when its under load. Other things I should try I guess would be DV and N75?

Any idea's before I go and replace the DV, N75 and 02 sensor?

2. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

spark plugs, get some bosch super 4s in there, 12 on trade from halfords.

Mine was oing the same as yours, I had fancy iridum denso plugs in there... it would miss on boost and run like a dog, but at all other times it was perfect!

I went though the full works, new boost hoses, stripped the throttle to make sure I got it full open, new N75 valve and tried a spare one! nothing happened.. new plugs and all is fine! so fine Ben upped the boost for us when I went to see him about the missfiring and another issue (I chnaged the plugs before I set off to see him that morning) Ben said they has been told of plugs causing many issues on only reccomend fitting the bosch plugs now.

3. LazyLunatic Forum Member

Mmmm, ideal bud! I'm doing another mk3 20vt with my mate, so borrowed the n75 valve, didn't change anything. Unplugged the O2 sensor and tried running it but no luck.

Ben suggested the fuel pump,

I reckon it is a spark problem and I'm defo going to try what you said! Thanks mate!

Which bosch super 4 plug do I get?

Was your misfire aggressive? Mines hits full boost and misfires very agressively, almost like a ooilpack has blown.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Plug gap and or dwell is your problem.

5. LazyLunatic Forum Member

Also, it has been running sweet before this for 6+ months on denso iridium plugs.

6. LazyLunatic Forum Member

I want to check the gapping, typical that I have lost my f**king feeler gauge! Its the only tool I have lost, like ever! [:D]

I got one in the post :)

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I tend to set these at 024 thou using either Denso or OE NGK plugs.

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

0r around 0.6mm:thumbup:

9. LazyLunatic Forum Member

Sweet cheers guys.

10. LazyLunatic Forum Member

Gapped two sets of plugs and still hasn't solved it.

How do I go about checking/fixing the dwell? If you could explain dwell in a sentence that would be great too [:D]

11. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

what was the base car? gti? vr6? or a lower spec model?

12. LazyLunatic Forum Member

Lower spec, 1.4 L

13. LazyLunatic Forum Member

I'm going to borrow a crank sensor from my mates 1.8t and see if it fixes the problem. Don't know what else it could be...

14. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

aaahhhhh!!!!!!! it would be worth popping the pump oout of the tank and checking the part numbers, as it SHOULD be a 3 bar pump... but there is also a 1.2bar pump which should only be used a a couple fo 1.8s... but no garatee which one you have.

post up what numbers you can see on the pump and Ill check etka and see what it says

15. LazyLunatic Forum Member

Aite, will do. I'm running a pump from a VR at the moment, it had done almost 8,000 miles before I started having issues.

Thanks mate :)

16. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

ahh if its defo from a VR then if its a pre96 its a 4bar or post 96 is 3bar, but either way the pressure and flow rates are man enough.. but you can still check the part numbers if you want.

I still think it would be worth poppoing in a set of bosch +4 plugs

17. LazyLunatic Forum Member

I'll grab a set of bosch plugs and a crank sensor.

Could you link me the bosch plugs I need?

Cheers :)

18. LazyLunatic Forum Member

I am right in saying the right plug would be the FR78X?

19. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

20. bens_cab Forum Junkie

i run NGK PFR6Q in my 20vt after having a misfire this resolved the issue