1.8t suddenly making loud tapping noise

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by treefingers, Feb 14, 2015.

1. b20wht New Member

No not yet, taking the sump off is my next step. I honestly thought it was a lifter at fault by the noise, but it would seem not. Does sound to light of a tap/knock to be a big end imo.

2. b20wht New Member

You got any further with yours mate? I've just done a compression check on mine and all is ok with that (145-165psi across all 4) also did the screw driver down the spark plug hole and all 4 measured the same so no bent conrods. So I'm thinking big ends now. Sump off is the next step for me hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

3. vrbanana Forum Junkie

4. b20wht New Member

Good call, just purchased one for less than 10 so will give it a go and see if I can pin point the noise down a little bit more before removing the sump.

5. treefingers New Member

yep found the source!

[​IMG]

a bent rod in cylinder 2.. the cylinder that had 120psi. I had checked for bent rods by looking up into the base of the engine but it was hard to tell. the engine is completely apart now, going to rebuild everything and make something strong and reliable.

I think the bend came from torque spikes from inconsistent fueling due to the map/O2 wiring.. I've heard rods normally go at much higher constant torque but the jerky running must have sent a torque spike too large for the rod to handle..

hope this helps with finding your problem too!

6. treefingers New Member

yep found the source!

[​IMG]

a bent rod in cylinder 2.. the cylinder that had 120psi. I had checked for bent rods by looking up into the base of the engine but it was hard to tell. the engine is completely apart now, going to rebuild everything and make something strong and reliable.

I think the bend came from torque spikes from inconsistent fueling due to the map/O2 wiring.. I've heard rods normally go at much higher constant torque but the jerky running must have sent a torque spike too large for the rod to handle..

hope this helps with finding your problem too!

7. b20wht New Member

Oh great!