1.8t throttle pedal

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by gingernuts, Nov 23, 2012.

1. gingernuts Forum Member

Im building a 1.8t corrado race car and having trouble with the standard master cylinder being to close to the cam belt. for that and other reasons i want to run a floor mounted bias pedal box. however im having trouble choosing one as i currently have the standard drive by wire throttle pedal bolted to the bulk head and i wont be able to incorporate this in a pedal box. so the options are to figure out a way of running a cable throttle, or finding a race pedal box with a built in dbw throttle.

anyone shed any light on either of these options or have any other ideas??

cheers

2. dsj20v Forum Member

Keep as is and fit stubby m/c and passat rear bracket this will give a lot more space between that and cambelt cover

3. gingernuts Forum Member

i would do but it allows me to get rid of the servo, (already have done but with a home made spacer which id rather get rid of) and also to run a bias box

4. gingernuts Forum Member

just to add, im running around 350bhp, with an oem ecu and the engine is aum code.

using the search function i can see the vr6/abf throttle body option, but will that work with my ecu and which is the easiest route.

5. Admin Guest

the ecu won't work with a cable pedal, unless someone has made a map for this swap?

6. gingernuts Forum Member

ok so the options are standalone management or a dbw compatable pedal box, or a two pedal overhung pedal box and standard throttle pedal

7. turbotommy Forum Member

R32 floor mounted throttle pedal? seen some info on it before but can't remember where.You'll just need one from a car that ran ME7. management.

8. gingernuts Forum Member

Ahh that may be a decent option. Seem cheap too, would it need reprogrammed?

9. gingernuts Forum Member

Right, Im back on this problem now,

Im running an independant pedal box (OBP) which has its own throttle. I have the option of creating a linkage to the old FBW throttle which is a ballache and just seems messy. Could i run an AGU or similiar and remap the ecu to suit. I have found this kit, which says it does the job, just wondering what throttle body, wiring etc it uses. http://www.034motorsport.com/034efi...on-dbc-conversion-kit-mk-18t-trans-p-682.html

10. turbotommy Forum Member

What engine code management are you running? (actual engine code does not really matter)

11. gingernuts Forum Member

this is the ECU thats being used. All i know is the engine code of AUM
    [​IMG]

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

that kit wont do anythign with the ecu, as per the comments its only used if you are converting with a dbc ecu.

if you want dbc you have to change the entire loom and ecu to dbc, agu ecu wont fit aum/auq loom as plugs different. though if you bought a load of mini timer pins and spent a few hours with a wirign diagram you could cut the plugs off and fit the agu ones, but lots of effort for little gain

13. b5byt Paid Member Paid Member

Wow!

I've had the exact same problem now for about 2 years I think!

floor mounted motorsport pedal box in a mk2 rocco with 1.8t. I looked everywhere and I was told you can get a signal convertor off a Ibiza that will take care of it.

I never found it and I'm now thinking just to swap it all to AGU loom and ecu. It's been so long since I was working on it I have forgot if that will actually work lol.

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the signal converter you mention is just the ibiza equivalent of the dbw pedal, its just remotely mounted with a linkage rather than a complete pedal unit. its not just on the 20v models though its on pretty much all the mk3 ibiza theres one on my wifes 1.4 AKK. polo, lupo and arosa use them too as do some early MK4 golfs, audi etc. the mk3 TDI also has a similar type of thing but not sure if compatible with 20v ecu.

part number for the ibiza unit you were told about is 1J2721568F (its actually a mk4 golf part, note '1J'!) earlier number is 021 907 475 D

couple here:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-6N2-Polo-Accelerator-Pedal-Sensor-021-907-475-D-/200479557303
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-POLO-MK5-ACCELERATOR-PEDAL-SENDER-021907475D-/110823051790

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  15. gingernuts Forum Member

That could be an option. I know many people look at this and think there will be no gain etc, but its not done for drive ability, there is just very little way to mount the throttle pedal as part of the motorsport pedal box, so I HAVE to find a way round it.

That signal converter obviously would require a cable from the throttle pedal to the converter its self which would be simple enough. However, surely the ECU would still need remapped to properly plot the potentiometer range. Also the plug looks different so would need rewired. OBP who built my pedal box are looking into a way of using their twin potentiometer but as i said to them again the ecu will need to be remapped to the new potentiometer parameters, which by all accounts is not possible on this ECU.

I'm now looking into the possibility of standalone instead as my car isn't wired in yet so would simplify that process along with increasing the tuning potential. Despite the advantages its a step i don't want to be taking at the moment as Ive spent more than enough on the car of late!!

If i dont go the route of stand alone, which loom/ecu combo will allow me to use a DBC arrangement, and still allow me to remap it to suit my Engine/turbo. Also, what else will have to be changed in conjunction with it, ie coil packs or the like?

16. D4LFR Forum Member

if you need one of those pedal sensors above im pretty sure iv still got a couple in the garage from the ibiza cupras and tt's ive broken.

Alot cheaper than those too ;)

17. gingernuts Forum Member

OK, thanks for the reply. Ill wait and see if the gurus can confirm as to whether it will work!

18. b5byt Paid Member Paid Member

AGU is dbc (Golf mk4, A3 etc)

19. gingernuts Forum Member

Anyone got any ideas?

20. m1keh Forum Member

I would just find a way to remotely mount the DBW throttle and run a cable from your pedal box to it...... That or you need to see if the ibiza style throttle pots have the same outputs as your mk4 golf one..... They probably do....

Once you have the right things connected you just need to check you get 100% throttle in vag com....

It's that or find a decent tuner who can change the right bits in the ecu's calibration to work with a different throttle pedal, although this isn't exactly easy as very few people have the right files to do this as quickly as vw engineers do.

Going standalone has very few advantages when your tuner can properly manipulate the standard ecu....