1.9 TDI ALH engine not starting

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by G60KG, Feb 24, 2014.

1. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Hi All, bought a 2002 caddy a few weeks ago. it started struggling to start when hot or cold and now does not start at all. AA guy said suspected egr valve blocked but I dont see how that would stop the van starting.

it starts with easy start sprayed into inlet. I have changed glowplugs and heater relay today and the antishudder valve is not stuck shut. What else can I check?

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

EGR defintiely won't stop it starting...

I had similar issues with my Mk3 AHU TDI (virtually identical engine, just lower power).

Check out this thread of the problem I had;

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.p...Quantity-Adjuster-(N146)-**New-developments**

Theres a few links in there to other problems I had and the solutions (better designed fuel filter because the original can let air into the system, fuel lines holed with the same result, and a couple of handy fuel pump adjustments/checks). Particularly check posts 8 and 42.

Its worth noting that mine eventually would only start using Easy Start, but I gave up investigating when a mate had a VR6 going spare, so the car was scrapped... :lol:

3. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

thanks for that stu, Im reading through the thread and I remember seeing fuel moving in the lines with gaps when cranking indicating air in the line. I think I will change the fuel filter too. Is there a set way to get air out of the fuel line? The problem became worse over time so Im thinking air could be gettign into the system which accumilated over time.

Also noticed when I removed the glow plugs that the plug on cylinder 1 was bone try and the rest were wet, could this indicate an issue?

4. StuMc

If airs getting in, obviously the first job is to find out where and sort it.

After that, it's usually just a case of running it and it'll self-bleed, but if loads of air has got through to the injectors (a few small bubbles are fine, but eventually the injectors will just stop working), then you'll need to manually bleed them. Dead simple though; just crack off the union on top of the injector until fuel is coming out, then do it back up. Do them one at a time, though.

And I wouldn't normally expect the glow plugs to be wet...perhaps No.1 injector is full of air, so not firing, and the others are firing, but not enough for ignition.

Sort the air leak first, then you can come back to the plugs if there's still an issue. :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    G60KG likes this.
  5. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I inspected the fuel lines in the engine bay and they seem to be in good nick. I think I will change the fuel filter, beed the injectors and go from there. is it worth going for the rover filter or is the original vw one ok?

I noticed fuel moving away from the pump after cranking again with air in the clear line.

6. StuMc

Original filter can leak air past the "thermal tee" due to a defective or missing seal under it. A new seal would cure it, obviously, but it's a queer size, so dealer only unless you happen to have an o-ring kit, then you can find something close.

Rover filter does away with that faffing, but you will need a suitable hose joiner to join the two sections of the return line back together.

7. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

All sorted! tried bleeding the injectors but the air was pushing the fuel back up the line. Decided to start using easy start and forcing the air out which worked a treat, then noticed one of the fuel leak pipes between the cylinders also gushing fuel as it had split. New leak lines and now all is well. thanks for all the input Stu

8. StuMc

Good stuff! Glad it was an easy fix! :thumbup: