1.9PD to a 2.0PD conversion

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by scruffydubber, Nov 18, 2009.

1. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

How easy do you think it would be to convert a 1.9 8v PD engine to a 2.0 16v PD engine (like the 170bhp one's)?

Do they share the same engine mounts?

Do you think the 1.9 ECU and wiring could run the 2.0 engine, with a re-map?

Just an idea, but I'm interested how easy it would be, the car i have is a 9n polo 1.9 PD.
    I would use the same 5speed box, and a G60 flywheel.

I guess the only mount I would have to worry about is the one on the driverside, is this the same on both engine's?

2. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Speak to Crispy 8V :thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  3. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, Is that his user name?
    I could only find mikey C is this the correct bloke?

thanks

4. Brookster

Sorry i gave you wrong name its Crispy 8V you need

This man !!
    [​IMG]

he haas the Red MK1 with a PD130 (170bhp) under the hood and goes on all the Track days, Top Man too spoke to him for the first time the other week at Cadwell.

check Cadwell thread for his details. :thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  5. altern8 Forum Junkie

Do it Gaz

6. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Ah I know the one, I've read his thread a few time's, Great car and combination, although I don't think it it a PD diesel. I've dropped him a PM, Thanks.

It would be nice to do it, I've heard the 16v diesels are a bit better at revving, and the pd170 one's can be tuned up a fair amount with the standard turbo. Interested in it, even if i don't do it.

7. Brookster

I've had a few PD150 and they rev really well PHATVR6 has just bought a Altea with a PD170 and says it drive like a GTI.

PD170 Can be re-mapped straight to 205 bhp

8. altern8 Forum Junkie

dont the newer 170s have some extra filter that is restrictive?

9. nealey Forum Junkie

you thinking of a DPF filter?

10. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

not my best side!

without cross references the wiring diagrams the 1.9 PD could run the 2L with coulpe sensors left over. I'm guessing the main bits (injectors/temp sensors) would be identical, may be an issue with cam & Crank sensors for postioning as pick up lugs could be differnet. and more elctronic control intake part

1.9 used a EDC15 ECU and the 2 uses the later EDC16 which is quicker and different setup in control.
    if I was going to do it, i'd go full mk 5 engine bay wiring/ecu and if the rest of comunication wasn't allowing the engine to start or adapt it to talk together if can be go around via certian remaps to ecu

if it's a 1.9 pd (100 BHP?) it would be far easier to put in tuned 130 and get 150-200 BHP without the headache

11. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers for the reply.

I think I will stick with the 100PD, I have quite a few parts for the 100pd engine already, 130 injectors and turbo, and FMIC etc.
    The only main difference in the engine to the 130, is the inlet manifold and the rod bearing size. I have seen some running over 200bhp with hybrid turbo's and no problems.

At the moment the power band is very short, (I'm pretty sure this would be improved with a better turbo). But this got me thinking about the 2.0 16v TDI's, and hence the original question.

Thought the PD170 re-mapped would be a good little conversion. I don't really want to get into wiring changes (even though it's my day job). The car is a daily, so it needs to be roadworthy most of the time, so don't think I'll get to carried away.

Maybe one for the future,

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  12. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Bump this up

I've been driving a 2.0 16v diesel the past few days, and it seems so much smoother, quieter, and rev's more freely.
    So it has got be thinking about this conversion again.
    I've looked at the mounts, and the 2.0 should slot in on the same mounts, using the 5sp gearbox.
    The pipe work looks straight forward.

So just the management.
    I'm surprised nobody has done this type of conversion before. Going to start researching into the management side.

13. AOI3610 New Member

Bump Bump

Go with the 100, it makes little odds unless you want mega bhp. Good for 250 at least.

Get a hybrid or a 170 A4 TDi 170bhp Turbo, 130/150 injectors, FMIC, 3 bar map sensor and an exhaust, an hour on the rolling road will give you 210 (ish).

If you use a PD from a Passat or A4 it makes Pipework much easier IMHO.

All my original Mk2 Mounts fitted it too. PNP for the engine as it were, I use a Caddy TDI Box (5 Speed), same driveshafts etc. (Only broken 1 gearbox so far)

Easy peasy.. (NOT)

14. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

He looks a bit constipated
    [​IMG]