1000 fine for German Plates ?

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by altern8, Jan 10, 2005.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

german plates

what do you recon of this ive just bought mine [:^(]

2. rick1.8t Forum Member

Don't wear them ;)

3. Andy947 Forum Addict

Its always been the case.

Plus everyone knows they are illegal, so i dont see what all the crying and fuss is about.

You choose to put illegal plates on, you accept the risks :)

4. Seraph Banned

just as worse.
    think im right in saying, if the plate design is wrong ie german, the mark can be removed! So that 500pound private plate suddenly becomes.....not yours [:^(] !

5. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Often thought about this.
    Guy I know has a Belgium registered truck and he says speed cameras don`t bother him as they don`t follow them up.So how about if you registered your car in Europe like the trucks and didn`t pay for fines ,tax etc.
    Or is it more bother than it`s worth.
    And what about all those cars with sh1tty fonts that you can`t even read sometimes unless you are 10ft away.IMO they are far worse than German plates.

6. Andy947 Forum Addict

Its the exact same rules as have always been, have applied in all the cases of illegal fonts etc on regular plates

IT IS NOTHING NEW!!!

Christ, whaere has the common sense in the world gone [:[]

7. Andy947 Forum Addict

You cant legally register your car in another country i dont believe.

I sort of looked into it when my sis was living in Germany, wanted a real german number [:$] :lol:

8. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Illegal they are but some look more illegal than others :)

9. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

So how do the trucks do it then ?
    There must be a loophole somewhere.

10. Andy947 Forum Addict

Yeah, couple of the cops up here have said the plates look smart.

Defo some of the weird fonts etc are worse IMO, but the law is the law i guess and any deviation is taking a chance.

:)

11. Andy947 Forum Addict

Possibly if they are out of the country for a certain length of time per year or something.
    Edited by: Andy947

12. DuBDuDe Forum Member

Something like this is still legal here.

[​IMG]

Its just when u start doing very weird fonts and putting dashes and stuff in the middle it becomes illegal.

Also you cant mess with the spacing or grouping of the characters. And you must have yellow back and white front number plates.

Other than that you can still have the german style number plates.

Its legal to have the plate with the Euro symbol and the 'D' instead of 'UK' or 'GB' in the blue bit.

Edited by: DuBDuDe

13. Andy947 Forum Addict

You cant LEGALLY have german style plates - they dont conform to the LEGAL font, nor do they reflect as the LEGAL plates do, FACT :)

14. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Sadly wrong. It is not legal to have German style number plates in the UK. Not only do the rules state very specific character spacing and grouping as you say, but specify one of several approved fonts as well. Therefore to have the font that German plates typically have is illegal.

That range of numberplate styles that you see on the wall when you go into Halfords. They're the only styles that you can legally use.
    Edited by: Trev16v

15. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Funniest thing with the German plates I've seen was in Germany.

Tub has them on his car with the D in the blue band, the marshals at the 'ring couldn't understand his car being RHD and BRITISH, but with German plates :lol: So wouldn't let him on the track unless he covered up the D :lol:

I've been pulled with mine on, the copper was good enough to be sitting behind a tree with a camera apparently seeing me with no seat belt on, and parked behind me after an exciting chase about 100yards through the fen village of Holbeach st Johns fining me 30 in the process, but didn't say a dicky bird about the german plates :lol:[:s]

16. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

don't

mention

german

number

plates!!!!

[:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x]

17. AxlFoley Forum Junkie

Just dont use them in london.

I always say my cars a show car an i havent swapped them, show them the orriginal plates in the boot, they just tell me to swap them, never been fined yet :)

18. DarrenW Forum Junkie

I was wondering about that - I'm planning on taking mine over to Wolfsburg sometime and wondered how I'd get on with German plates on an obviously UK car...

19. W3LSH Forum Member

its not like it doesnt read a uk reg though? [:s]

its easy enough to tell the difference

20. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Never been pulled once in 3 years with my German plates!

Gutted for you all! [:D] :lol:

Alan