110bhp TDI engine - EGR valve?

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Polog4tracer, May 3, 2004.

1. Polog4tracer Forum Member

Thinking about buying a 97/98 Passat TDi, hopefully with the 110bhp engine. Need something to tow the race car.

Just want to know if you can disconnect the EGR valve like you can on the MK4 PD-TDI 130. On the mk4 it gains 27bhp from just that, or so ive been informed (if im misinformed forgive me- not too clued up on TDi engines). Just want to know anyone whos done it on the 'older' TDI engine and what it gains power/torque wise. And what it does to fuel consumption aswell, if it affects it at all (when not on boost, just crusing wise)?

Many thanks

Paul

2. Jon TDI Forum Member

You can do it, but I'll be very surprised if you'll get a 27bhp increase!!!! :lol:
    It'll improve 'throttle' response & help the turbo spool up quicker. I don't think fuel consumption is affected.
    Haven't done it myself due to car being still under warranty.

3. Polog4tracer Forum Member

My mate had the mk4 rolling roaded just after he disconnected it on RPM's rollers.

I know he had the car chipped anyway, dont know if before or after etc. I probably got confused.

I dont expect it'll be much on the 110bhp engine (essentially what is in the 90bhp mk3 golf tdi with a few differnt bits - im assuming thats all thats different, injectors, maybe turbo etc.)

The Passet will be about a P reg or an R if I can stretch to one, im after the 110bhp engine though.
    Just got to get my corrado G60 sold now, its far too impratical.

4. trendy tramp Forum Member

the EGR valve will be closed at full-load anyway so unplugging it will make no difference to your peak figures at all
    when it's open at part throttle it reduces the charge air mass and reduces cylinder pressures. it will affect MOT emissions but i couldn't tell you how much.
    at reasonably high loads the EGR valve will prevent the pre-turbine pressure from rising too high.
    You'll not gain a lot from unplugging it anyway and it'll do the valve good to be in use - the high heat could cause sticking over long periods of inactivity.

5. Jon TDI Forum Member

Yeah, it's the same block as the 90 TDI, just different ECU, injectors & VNT turbo.
    I suspect the increase would be after chipping.

It's funny cos I sold a Corrado G60 to get my Ibiza!!! ;)

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

MAF sensor signal 'controls' EGR operation on those TDI's ;)

Wonder if it was a quick fix to cure a MAF problem why it was disconnected?, Had a Galaxy in on Friday, 60mph flat out due to a shafted MAF [xx(]

7. Jon TDI Forum Member

You can adjust the operation of the EGR by VAG-COM. Switching it off saves clogging up the intake manifold, apparently.

8. Polog4tracer Forum Member

Cheers all,

good info :)
    Something for me to think about when I get it.

Many Thanks

Paul

9. g-master New Member

[:s] yeah my tdi 110bhp was flat out struggling to do a ton, i've had more then that before? could that be the maf?

10. Jon TDI Forum Member

Yep. Sounds like the MAF died. The engine will struggle to rev with a dead one.