115bhp poor economy

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by M7R, Dec 5, 2007.

1. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Right this is where Im at with my weisel: 115bhp PD AJM eng code.

Brought in april with a weeping head gasket, and 169k on the clock, it went very well and so long as you kept the revs bellow 2500k it didnt really touch the water, above that it would suck it in and chuck it out the exhaust and on teh rear window... BUT i would easily get 48-50mph on my normal runs, which was from Nottingham to Milton keynes (70 odd miles mostly motorway and the rest dual carriage way apart from the first 5 miles to the m1) and also from my pad in milk n beans to work (10-12 miles of duel carriage ways and fast A road,)

In Sept i changed the head gasket and re fitted a gen VAG one, new head bolts etc etc, all done by the book. at the time i didnt have a crank locking tool so tdc was guessed... the as i ligned up all my marks. after that the car was STUPIDLY fast but would only do high 30s mpg to very low 40s, no matter what and town was even worse mid 20s to low 30s.

so I then changed the fuel filter and have run 2 bottles worth of tesco dielsel fuel cleanen through it, and also brought the crank locking tool, now i beleiev i did this correct:

Locked the crank at tdc then slackened the 3 bolts on the top pully and spun the full shaft with the centre bolt untill the 6mm locking drill bit would go all the way into the head, then retightened the 3 pump bolts.

Since then I have ben to Stoke on trent twice which is a good 40-50 mile run of seatdy driving, and im still strugling to get above mid40s, i have been driving it like before, crusising at a steady 75-80. last night coming back from seeing Becca i was being VERY easy, coasting up to islands when i saw the 1/2 a mile sign or so and not going mad and i JUST saw 50.2 by the time i had got home.

So does anyone have any ideas? as id love to get the ecomony i had before, the only thing i can think is that the coolant was acting like a charge cooler and that the new (fitted when i picked the car up) intercoolers not good enough and i need to invest in a front mounted one.

one other note i have noticed that the car seems really shove you in the back up to 2300/2400rpm but then it levels out, boost problem?

Oh and the car has a KN pannel filter fitted but this has been in since I got it.

Cheers

Karl.

2. mark25 Forum Junkie

I think the water and below 2500 rpm was helping, you can't expect too much more than 40 mpg with those IMO.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  3. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I have still been driving the same near enough since then. the only other thing i did was clear loads of crud from the inlet, eps where the butterfly is, i must have removed at least 1/2" worth of junk from the pipe wall while it was all removed.

4. Seraph Banned

If the cars up together, it should easily return high 40's on a mixed run.

5. Supercharged Forum Member

Should easily get around 50mpg - I have to really thrash mine to see below 45!

So you think Cam timing is ok and the head wasn't skimmed? what about the injection timing (I think there is someing in 1551 to check this that my mate at Audi mentioned when doing the belt - this didn't need adjusting tho as it was the first belt change and the locking tools were used)
    Assume your not getting any codes and the MAF is working ok? I would change the N75 Valve for the sake of 20 and some new vac hose...

169k is high altho the engine is capable of more it wasn't running right for some of this time and will probably run hotter than say a 50k engine due to wear, corrosion, contamination etc so that could have an effect on fueling due to engine temp...

Other thing to look at is the Turbo, the VNT's get gummed up easily and it's probably way past it's best at that mileage tbh esapecially if it's had some G12+ thru it!, if it's sticking you'll be using more fuel to get the power out of the engine and with this working harder than it should be it will be running hotter too...

6. cocobay63 Forum Member

Mate ive had the same problem with my 130 PD TDi, i brought some diesal Treatment, and seems to be a little bit better, however i didnt use the recommended amound i just put a touch in where as i should have put in 2 lots, but i will be doing that next time i fill up, i suggest you try it, Millars stuff is suppose to be pretty good, Millars Diesal Power Plus !

7. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

the engines now done just shy of 182k, when i had the head off it seemed fine for bore wear etc and its been religiously serviced so im not too worried about the engine.

we checked the turbo for bearing wear and there was minimal play in the bearings and my mate who knows a bit about turbos had a quick look over and said it didnt look in too bad knick,

the injection timing is fixed by the cam so im guessing that with the cam locked in the head and the crank locked it should be ok, or bloody close!

any idea what i need to do on vag-com to check this? as ive just got it and run a autoscan and it didnt show up any faults....so i dont think im doing it right as i know for a fact my cruse control doesnt work so theres a fault causing that,

8. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

well ive scanned it with vag-com doing each part seperate and it said there was no fault codes on the engine front so im stumped.

9. Seraph Banned

As fundamental as it sounds, check your tyre pressures and steer geometry.

10. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

tracking was set about 8k ago, and the tyre pressures are all 31psi, running on brdge stone Turanza ER300 tyres, the front are less that 1k old and the rears are a few k old but the treads as new as most has been motorway miles.

my first thought was tyre pressures but thay doesnt seem tro make a diff, it was giving low figures before i swapped the fronts when it was on the old front tyres (some polish v treaded ones that were still 2+mm left), but before head head was sone it ws on these tyres and wouls easily give 50mpg.

Im going to try a new air flow meter tomorrow as i have one spare from a new 2l tdi passat.

11. Seraph Banned

Don't anticipate that changing much, especially as you've no dtc's logged. But I'm open to surprise.

12. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

im working on the theory that if i unplug the air flow sesnor then turn the ignition on it should throw up a fault code... that way ill now for sure if my vag-coms working.

also i think the pasat one may make a diff as the part number had a B on the end...:lol: