12 volt power source?

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by elvis feet, Jan 30, 2015.

1. elvis feet New Member

Howy guys. I'm a new guy today. Just bought a 2007 gti and am looking for a safe place to hook up another stereo unit. (Cassette deck) I'm reading nightmares about guys hooking to wrong sources and causing all kinds of dash light problems.
    Any Techs out there????
    Thanks, Elvis Feet

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Welcome.:thumbup:

You've accidentally posted in the Mk1 Golf area, but I'm sure a moderator will move your topic for you...I'm also sure somebody will also know for sure about wiring your stereo. Normally you would have a red permanent 12v supply to the head unit, along with a switched live, but I'm a little more oldskool so best for somebody to confirm.

A 12v tester such as these can help you quickly determine 12v supplies and are generally handy to have for things like this. You can work out in minutes where you can take a feed from by checking for permenent 12v and switched 12v.

[​IMG]

Neil.

3. elvis feet New Member

thanks Neil,

Thanks Neil, would you know the proper area to post GTI stuff?
    Elvis Feet

4. elvis feet New Member

Thanks Neil, as you can see I am not a regular at visiting forums. Would you know the proper are to post GTI stuff?
    Elvis feet

5. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Your topic's been moved to a better place on the forum, so hopefully you should get a better response now :thumbup:

If you look up top you can see the 'Navigation trail' like so:
    Forum > Welcome to Club GTI! > Volkswagen Chat > Mk5 > 12 volt power source?

The blue bit above is where we are now, within your 'Topic' and each link before that is a section of the forum, think of them as folders and you get the general idea.

Best to initially visit the index page at http://www.clubgti.com/forum.php and then you can delve into the various forum sections in the future. :thumbup:

Neil.

mat-mk3 likes this.
  6. elvis feet New Member

12 volt power source in 2007 gti

To Neil and riley,
    I really don't need to be treated like a little kid that can't use a volt meter. I've been building cars since 1969. But I did find some helpful information that may help those who are about to fry their electrical system.
    In the rear luggage compartment (top right), you will find a 12 volt power socket. Also in the coin tray in front of your shifter, another one. So go purchase a plug and save yourself a whole lot of problems.
    Elvis Feet