1300 tapping noise

Discussion in '8-valve' started by broken-halfshaf, Oct 8, 2005.

1. broken-halfshaf Forum Member

My 1300 mk2 has been getting worse and worse with a tapping noise, at first I thought it was a exhaust blow at the manifold, but ive checked here and its fine.

Basically theres a really harsh tapping noise from the top of the engine, which doesnt go away when the oils hot. It might get slightly better, but im not sure, not driven for a week. Take the oil cap off, and the noise gets deeper, so its in there somewhere

Whats the best way to tackle this? Im pretty low on cash at the mo, its done about 7k since I replaced all the seals on the top end, and had the head skimmed. Oil is also 7k old, its Millers which I thought was pretty ok.

Thanks

2. Unknown Forum Junkie

I'll bet you a jam tart its the hydraulic tappets!
    Simple to cure if you dont mind whipping the cam out, might be cured easier by adding a flush or ATF before your next oil change (then chaning againg shortly afterwards)

3. gtidriver Forum Member

I have a similar problem on my 97 mk3 GTI. Wondered how to go about servicing the tappets...??

4. Unknown Forum Junkie

whip them out, bang them open side donw on a peice of wood untill the centres with the valves drop out, soak everything in thinners or some solvent over night and work all the gunk out of them by pressing the ball in with a cocktail stick or bit of wire, re assemble and drop back in the same place. Can take a little while of really bad clattering (10 minutes worst case for me so far, and they were fine later) to settle down but generally works, search for a more descriptive method if you want one thats not written by some one who drunk.

5. gtidriver Forum Member

LOL:lol: Righto matey!

6. broken-halfshaf Forum Member

Cheers guys, I ran the car tonight, the noise goes away when you rev it, but then slowly comes back after a while left at idle.

I will try a oil flush today, get some half decent oil for it aswell.

7. Unknown Forum Junkie

Search for TSC's ATF trick, works better than the flushing oils.

8. Unknown Forum Junkie

9. broken-halfshaf Forum Member

Cheers mate, think I will have a go at that method, mainly beacuse we have gallons of ATF, cheaps good!

Thanks again